ModPlug Radio Alternative?

Started by Joseph Collins, August 19, 2008, 02:41:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph Collins

Hiya!  Joseph Collins here.  Long time lover of all things Module and first time poster on the new (to me, anyways!) ModPlug Central forums!  I have a question about ModPlug Radio.  Now, for those who don't recall or never heard of ModPlug Radio, it was an online station which played nothing but Module files old and new and where I first heard awesome songs such as "King of Bongo (Yz Remix)" and "Lost in a Glance".
Anyways, I didn't see this asked before (via searching for "ModPlug Radio"), so I figured I'd ask here.  Is there a good ShoutCast version of some alternative to the long-gone ModPlug Radio?  And by "ShoutCast version", I mean something I can put into WinAMP as opposed to something I'd have to play in a browser window like Last.FM.  I'd love to hear random Modules played via ShoutCast in my copy of WinAMP again...  My boring old local playlist of 1,448 Modules just isn't enough, especially considering WinAMP's "Random" scripting doesn't take into consideration what was played in the last open session of WinAMP...

Thanks in advance for any help!
http://www.ninthdimension.net/motg2 -- Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna

bvanoudtshoorn

Hi there! Welcome to the site. :)

Well, there's KFOS Inner Space radio, which plays *some* tracked pieces... It's largely drawn from music at Trax In Space and TMA.

Incidentally, if you're looking at increasing your crop of mods, I'd suggest having a poke around at TMA - it's the largest repository of mods around.

You've got to bear in mind, though, that the traditional tracker is a dying breed. More and more people (most, I'd say) are moving towards using newer technologies, like virtual instruments and so on, which means that you can't listen to their tracks without the same plugins (some of which can cost a *lot* of money). This means that a lot of artists are just releasing MP3s of their work. I release the source files for my tracks, but they're unplayable by anyone who doesn't own both Xlutop Chainer and Kontakt 2 or 3, so it's more just for those interested in how I do things. :)

älskling

Nectarine - The Demoscene Internet Radio

- plays remixes and covers of C64 songs, which isn't really what you're asking for but still awesome!

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Joseph Collins

Okay, now this is a good sign.  I tuned into KFOS Inner Space right this moment and what do I hear?  "Warcraft" by SkyMarshall Arts which is a remix of the title song from Warcraft: Orcs & Humans with some sounds from World of Warcraft tossed in.  Folks?  Tracked or not, I think we have a winner.

I've tuned into Nectarine before and I loved what I heard, considering it's nothing but Demoscene and PC video game music (Purple Motion, Twilight Zone, Apogee, Epic Megagames, etc.).

BitJam I've never heard of.  Since they're offline right now (according to their site), I'll bookmark that sucker for later.

Thank you all for your help!  I think I now have a good selection of various tracker styles to listen to.  :D

Edit: I heard a remix of "12th Warrior" on KFOS Inner Space last night as well as songs from both Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters and Command & Conquer.  That settles it.  Inner Space is indeed my new favorite "tracker music" station!
http://www.ninthdimension.net/motg2 -- Music of the Game II: Café De La Luna

LPChip

I hope to setup a modplug radio in the future, but nothing is certain for that. I currently don't have my dedicated server to stream from, but my internet connection could broadcast some. I still have all the songs I broadcasted back then, which still are unsorted LOL.

Maybe I'll dive into getting another way of streaming, which would mean a flash based or javascript based streaming system. Yeah, I know thats not what you want, but it might be a way to get the newest modplug songs to play when visiting the site. (feature I've planned for the new system)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs