.52 OpenMPT doesn't update the recent files list anymo

Started by LPChip, August 03, 2008, 20:00:56

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.??

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
I've had this happening before in .48

Description of the bug:
Something is screwed up in my system, which prevents OpenMPT to update the recent filelist. It doesn't just happen in OpenMPT, I think, but there's something weird going on, which is why I made a bug support. When I close the last file open that is not already in the recent file list, OpenMPT closes without a dialog or anything (crashing?), failing to update the recent list to the config file.

How often does it happen?:
Always since a day or so.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
If I knew how to reproduce this, I wouldn't be posting, but fixing it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Okay, I have limited the problem to a Windows account setting, because when I logged in as administrator instead of my user LPChip, I could close a song that wasn't in the recent file list, and OpenMPT didn't crash.

Does anyone know what setting or policy perhaps can lock any file from being added to the mru list?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

have you actually checked if the files appear in the list after starting modplug 2 times? there's an open bug report from me about the file list showing files not from the *last* time mpt was openend, but from the *second-to-last*.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

It doesn't matter really.

They're not written to the ini file because OpenMPT crashes.

When I run the program as administrator, it works fine, and the files get also saved.

When I then reopen OpenMPT with the buggy profile, I do see the new files added to the list.

But as soon as I open a file that is not in the recent file list, and I close the last song (yes, even if I open files from the recent list while opening one not in the recent list, and close the one that isn't in the recent list first and then the one from the recent list) open mpt still crashes.

If I open a file from the recent list, and close it, I get a normal, no songs are loaded screen, eg. a clear MDI screen.

So there clearly is something wrong with the mru list. This problem also occurs in PaintShop Pro X. It doesn't update the recent files there anymore either. I figure it is somekind of API that is being called, that now doesn't work anymore. I'd like to learn as much as possible about what causes this. That way a fix can be made in openMPT as well as me not having to reinstall windows for something this tiny.

I've had the same thing before, and I couldn't find a problem back then. I actually assumed that it was my buggy windows back then, so I reinstalled. The problem obviously was gone, which is this install. This happened not less than 3 or 4 months ago, and since I use alot of portable apps, and haven't installed many games, my system is pretty clean compared to what I used to do with it.

But there is a bug in OpenMPT. When it fails to save the mru list, OpenMPT crashes, not saving anything to the ini file.

bvanoudtshoorn

I have this bug sporadically. :) However, I know that it's gong to happen, because I've got Visual Studio installed, and every time something crashes, it offers to debug it. :P I figured that it was just an intermittent bug with no apparent cause, because it happens randomly to me, most particularly when I close a file. I think it might also have something to do with Kontakt or Xlutop, because it only seems to happen on files that use them (which is 95% of my stuff, yes. :))

Sam_Zen

Quite serious. But I couldn't reproduce your described error, trying to emulate this with several orders inside the procedure.
Neither did it occur in PSP by the way. So it indeed smells like a user rights thing.

In cases like this it's quite important to have not only info about the app-version, but also about the OS.
On the IrfanView forum recently it's possible to add the app-version plus the used OS type as an extra field under the 'location' tag of the member.
Quite useful I must say. Especially because since XP the user right thing has become much more tricky.

And in some cases it appeared that even the location of the program can be of influence.
While I'm building up my toolbox again on the new XP system, I wanted to install my graphic terrain generator.
I did this first in its own root-subdirectory "terrains". As I was used to do. But it crashed, with warning about missing OCX files etc.
So I cleaned up, and let the install do its default thing, so the app ends up in the Program Files area. And then it worked..
Without any missing warnings, or the different user rights..

LPChip

I'm running a Windows XP SP2 NL Proffessional version.

I have adjusted my program files path to D:\programs and I always do this.

Right after the install, I ran OpenMPT to see if the recent file problem was gone. It was. I could save and load normally. After that, I installed most programs and games that I would use, which really are only a few programs and games. I think about 10 or so total (programs AND games)

Yes, thats really very few programs.

The strange thing is, that while logged in as a different user, everything works, so it nearly can't be a driver problem, and I can't see why software would cause this either.

But in any case... I probably can solve the issue, but I do smell a bug here in OpenMPT.

EDIT: I might've found the cause, but as I'm not at home, I can't test it.

LPChip

I still couldn't find it, but this bug has now driven me crazy!

I was working on a song, hadn't saved yet, stupid me...

So I load in an older song to grab samples from it, then close it, and *BWAM* modplug gone. I lost everything I did in that song :'(

Please fix this! Please make it so that modplug doesn't crash if it can't save the file to the recent files list.

Saga Musix

that's why i have set autosave to 1 minute... :) may be disturbing with large tunes, but i normally don't get beyond 10 MB anyway. :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"that's why i have set autosave to 1 minute... :) may be disturbing with large tunes, but i normally don't get beyond 10 MB anyway. :D

Yeah, I actually am lucky to have most of my song still saved as autosave file. But it remains to be strange.

So I have spent today trying to find the issue with the mru list. Thus far I haven't been able to clearly say where it comes from, other than that its a profile issue in xp, and most likelly exists in the registry.

I've done alot of tests and things. In the end, I installed a process blocker that requires me to give permission for any application to be active. You don't know if it can be a virus or anything. It required a reboot, so I rebooted. Strangelly after that, the problem was gone.

Me happy ofcource, so I rebooted once more, without the process blocker hoping to identify the process. The problem however never returned. So it might've been a registry setting that got corrected, but remained dorment untill restart.

Relabs, can you perhaps look for the API function/regkey being changed when you update the MRU list? cus when something fails there it crashes OpenMPT.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"Relabs, can you perhaps look for the API function/regkey being changed when you update the MRU list? cus when something fails there it crashes OpenMPT.
Crash causing data loss is certainly a bug to be examined.

Edit: I took a look at the problem, but couln't find a clue of its origin.

LPChip

Ugh. The problem has returned again, and the same kind of crashes appear too. If I close a song where OpenMPT needs to update the MRU list, it crashes without a warning.

If you want, I can record you a video of the bug in action.

LPChip

Forgot this bug entirelly.

In the end, it did seem to be a problem with my profile. I created a new windows profile, copied my settings over and the problem was fixed ever since.

Closing this one.