Changing Mix Quality control type

Started by Saga Musix, July 29, 2008, 16:38:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I think it would be useful to change the "mixing quality" control type from "dropdown list" to "dropdown compo". In a dropdown list, you can only select fixed entries, but a dropdown compo also lets you input text into the control. This would be pretty useful for people whose soundcards support more playback frequencies than those modplug knows (i.e. mine supports 192KHz).

EDIT: added 176/192KHz mode, so closing this one.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I doubt that it will be that easy.

I suspect heavy calculations behind each setting, making it impossible to allow a variable mixing quality.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

i'd at least request a 192khz mode then 8)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I do hope that you're not using plugins? Cus I doubt that the VST SDK has been adjusted to cope with such bitrate.

I even find an occasional plugin that crashes if I'm using 96khz mixing rate. For that reason, I use 48khz by default.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I do use VST plugins and since Steinberg Apps like Wavelab also support very high bit rates and stuff, I suppose that at least the SDK supports them too (especially since it's *advised* to use high-quality settings during mixing). Of course it's up to the plugin's developer to cope with the high bitrates, but I haven't had any problems yet. I rather had problems with an anti-aliased sample in 44khz mode which just went crazy on octave 7! :nuts: It sounds okay in 96khz mode, though.

Saga Musix

I tried adding more frequencies to the frequency table in Mpdlgs.cpp, without a real success: As soon as I switch ti 176400 or 192000 hz, the sound is played is double speed. Looks like a limitation inside modplug which I haven't found in the code yet...

QuoteI suspect heavy calculations behind each setting,
that would be a quite unflexible and illogical mixer then. Anyone who writes a seperate mixer for 44100 and 48000hz can be called an idiot :nuts:

psishock

did find some interesting stuff
(postby carbonizeD)
i agree with tweaks statement of 192khz being mainly a marketing ploy.

you dont NEED it.
you will NOT hear a differnce between 96khz & 192 khz

you WILL hear a difference between 44.1 & 96.

the reason being is HARMONICS.
sure, the human audio swectrum is 20hz - 20khz, BUT dont forget the dynamics of harmonics....it is almost something you feel more than hear.
and youre thinking that the same would apply for harmonics & 192khz, and in fact it does, but you will NOT hear differences in harmonics between 96 & 192....(96 is MORE than enough to cover the audioable harmonics)

ofcourse, like someone mentioned it is also in the quality of the converters and the circutry around them.

192 khz will only waste your: HDspace, RAM, CPUpwer.
and not gain anything unless youre a bat with ultrasound capabilities!
i agree. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

i know about this. not supporting it although it would be possible just because of "marketing" would be stupid, though. i personally don't need it (my pc is too slow anyway), but yeah, having it would actually be cool.