[feature request] Enharmonics

Started by pathovore, July 29, 2008, 00:28:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you find working with flats in modplug to be useful?

Yes
1 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 29, 2008, 00:28:49

pathovore

I personally would love to have enharmonic notation supported in modplug.

What I mean is, a keycommand to toggle sharps to flats...

say you hit ctrl+f12... now when you go to press a sharp it shows up as a flat... C# becomes Db...  It doesn't change what's already on the tracks, just what you input via keyjazz while "flat mode" is toggled on.

By only supporting sharps you are essentially throwing out half of the major/minor scales.  It's kind of ridiculous, and I try my best to pretend that this is just the norm and it's selfish to ask it to change.  However, if I want a song that modulates down I generally have to pick one that starts at around A major or E major or higher. I can't pick C because then I have to start mentally remapping all the sharps into flats and that extra layer of mental work is truly exhausting.  Forget Eb Major. It's too much mental work.

I realize a lot of people don't care.  If they did we would have had flats in trackers 15 years ago.  However, before you voice your opinion that you don't give really see why this feature is important, ask yourself, what would it hurt to have just a keycommand that doesn't get in the way or break any of your songs?    It changes nothing for people who don't end up using it.

Personally, I find modplug very well suited to laying out harmony.  On a 30" screen in "lo" mode I can see 57 channels across.  In "high" mode I can see 27 channels across, and I generally use that many because I like to voice things using multiple channels per single instrument for things like arpeggios or scales.

If this feature was implemented, I would be incredibly happy.  It would be the happiest day ever, actually.

Thanks!

KrazyKatz

I don't see this as an unreasonable request. I personally hear the tone in my head and just match it to the tone on the keyboard without consideration to the key. But for a more 'harmonic theory' minded person I can understand how all the sharps might be upsetting.

You should add this as a request in the request section on the forum.

There is a way around the mental work. Make the piece in scale that has no flats and then simply select the entire pattern and using the "ctrl + q (or) a" command to raise or lower all the notes to the desired scale.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

I doubt that this can be changed that easilly though, because the pattern area doesn't use the windows font. It is a pre-made bitmap that is being used as a font. So you would need to create a new bitmap and somehow toggle that. Perhaps that there can be made a build that supports this way, but I'm not sure if it goes that easilly.

Also, can you perhaps make a new topic in the Feature requests forum? Just asking if something can be done or opinions is never a good way to get it done. Just request it there, and people will give their opinion regardless.

I'm locking this one because this subforum isn't really the place for this.

Just post a new one. (oh, and the poll isn't necessary either)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs