[DECLINED] Updated "Insert Pattern"

Started by Really Weird Person, July 16, 2008, 20:50:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Here is something that would be nice, an updated version of the "Insert Pattern" function. It should shift the current pattern row to the right and renumbered What I mean is this. If you right-click on your first pattern and click "Insert Pattern," you get an exact replica of the right-clicked pattern. When you click it, it should give you a blank pattern (labeled 1 or 0, depending on what your first number was), shift the right-clicked pattern (and all proceeding patterns) one position to the right, and those patterns should have one added to them. For example:

Pattern 1:  Right-click
Pattern 1:  Blank pattern
[ex]Pattern 1:  Pattern 2, data preserved

Do you understand what I am talking about?

Sam_Zen

I think I do.
I always have found this function a bit fuzzy. 'Insert' indeed suggests a new pattern with no content to begin with.
Now, it's just copying the right-clicked pattern, including the codes. And so it gets the same pattern number as well.
Of course it would be nice if the numbering would be adjusted, but the main thing is to start with a blank pattern.
Otherwise you will end up with pattern a and b having exactly the same content. Quite confusing.
So far, a workaround for this is to choose right-click 'Create New Pattern'.
It will have the next highest pattern-number, but at least the content is empty.
Then do CleanUp/Rearrange Patterns to get the right numbering.

LPChip

Since this function already exists (see Sam_Zen's workaround) there's no reason to keep this request open. True, its a bit different than what you suggest, but the difference itself is small enough to see this as a fancy addon instead of a required addon.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

That is a nice workaround, Sam_Zen. Unfortunately, in my case, that would still not help because I would have rerenumber them (woah, to res in one word, strange). Although, I will have to admit that by starting at one, I do, at times, gyp myself out of the ending pattern, but when I start them at zero, I do not have this problem. Hmm, interesting thought, eh?

LPChip

I don't see why you need to keep the patterns ordered, making them from 0 to xx during the making of the song. But even if you want that, rearranging the patterns using cleanup will get that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs