Is this possible...

Started by KrazyKatz, July 13, 2008, 23:51:44

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

I need to travel back in time to fix some stuff I didn't do that I should have done. I also don't mind if I can only get back to undo stuff I did do, that I shouldn't have.

Can this be done with Modplug?
Maybe a feature request?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

anboi

if you're lucky and use autosave with it making multiple autosaves (i use 3) and made your changes quickly then closed modplug again (which i expect is unlikely) then one of the autosaves might be old enough that it doesn't have your unwanted changes. otherwise i think you're out of luck :(
something i use to help avoid this is to save every time a different version number of the track - i just append 0p1, 0p2, etc. on the end (read as zero point one, zero point two, adding extra dots can do odd things with the filing system so i use a 'p' instead). tracker files are usually so small that even saving dozens of times (i usually get to about 30-40 for a track) it comes out smaller than a couple of wavs of the tune, or at least it does if you're not using stupendously large samples.

LPChip

If you tell us what you want to revert back to, maybe we can tell you how to get there using different actions.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

Try reading this. Basically I think you need a flux capacitor or a wormhole.

KrazyKatz

Basically I'd like to travel back about 12 years ago and fix some stuff I regret not doing.
Also there's a whole lot of terrible stuff that I did which I regret, so I would love to be able to undo these mistakes.

I heard Modplug had a time travel option in the older editions, but it may have been taken out of the newer releases due to lack of use. Anyone know where I can find the options?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

bvanoudtshoorn

Unfortunately I think that that was only in the plugin, and relied on a feature in Netscape 2.0. :(

rncekel

Well, in case this helps...
As far as I know, the only thing one should regret of doing is regreting something he has done.

LPChip

You might be able to run the old plugin in netscape 2 by using Virtual PC and install Windows 95 in it. If that doesn't work, perhaps DosBox does?

In any case, Virtual PC does allow you to freeze. Maybe it can travel back in time too?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "anboi"something i use to help avoid this is to save every time a different version number of the track
Ever considered using some version control system such as SVN?

KrazyKatz

Alright, I found the option in the Modplug tree panel, but it only lets me travel back 10 years. I don't suppose there is a way to overclock it to 12?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

KrazyKatz

I see the Jokes worn off.
I was actually kidding around from the beginning, so just wanted to thank everyone for their input, serious or not and for putting up with my mischief...

Was just reminiscing on the past and thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Modplug had a time travel option.

Cheers!
Sonic Brilliance Studios

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I see the Jokes worn off.
I was actually kidding around from the beginning, so just wanted to thank everyone for their input, serious or not and for putting up with my mischief...

Was just reminiscing on the past and thinking, wouldn't it be nice if Modplug had a time travel option.

Cheers!

Hold on... Let me travel back in time and see if I understoot that correctly... ! :nuts:

anboi

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "anboi"something i use to help avoid this is to save every time a different version number of the track
Ever considered using some version control system such as SVN?

yeah but i've been using this for 9 or 10 years now and it's 2nd nature for me to click save as then just change a digit, not sure using SVN would be more simple than that if i have to change my ways. if i'd known about versioning systems years ago when i came up with my slightly daft way then i would though!

maleek

Of course it is possible.

It is going to be THE feauture of the next version of Open Modplug Tracker. See if Renoise can match that! :P Automation will seem pretty lame when you will be able to travel in time with Modplug technology! ;) I also request that Olivier come back to develop a kick ass interface that will make light speed tracking possible.

Snu

awesome, i might actually be able to win those one hour compos now...