converting .mod problems for DS game

Started by locash, July 07, 2008, 23:22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

locash

I am being thrust into the world of trackers and am enjoying the journey and learning curve :)  A project for a DS game I am working on requires that I write my music in .mod format.  
I started creating my track in mpt in its native .it form.  I actually recorded my song first in Logic and then exported my samples and performances into MPT.  well....i redid the performance in MPT and imported the samples.  And it worked out ok (lots of tweaking).  but now when i convert it to .mod it sounds horrible.  
Should i have started with some sort of pre existing .mod library of sounds?  should i have prepped my samples better?  how?   Where could I get this pre existing library from...if it exists?  I exported an .xm file....while it sounds good its file size is too big.  and the programmers require an .mod file.  
Any help would be fantastic.  
Looking forward to learning from you masters.

Sam_Zen

First of of all, this should not be your problem.
If these programmers demand that you make a module in the MOD format, it's like asking to make a video on a VHS tape.
MOD is an outdated format, and there's no downward compatibility from an IT file.
MOD has a limited command-set, and another structure.
People at DS should get familiar with the other codes of XM or IT. They are programmers, aren't they ?

LPChip

Sam_zen, you've said it well.

To give it even more attention, feel free to check out this topic: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2354.0

It has the exact same question but alot more information was exchanged.

You might want to give your developers a link to this topic.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The  DS is pretty limited, Sam_Zen. IT playback is not only impossible because there IS no IT player but also because it's a very hardware-demanding format.
locash, have a look over to the ModArchive forums, is a guy called sverx who seem to be writing an XM player for the DS, so this may be better than those MOD players...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.