control a hardware midi expander with modplug

Started by phanoo, July 07, 2008, 13:37:14

Previous topic - Next topic

phanoo

hello

I have a Roland SC-88Pro and I would like to use its sounds in MPT... but i don't know if it's possible  :?
Is there a way to send midi messages with modplug ? (it the preferences I see only "Midi input device" but not output  :?

älskling

see this thread for more info on how to control MIDI hardware and read this section in the WIKI to understand how plugins work. Then ask here if anything is unclear.

phanoo

oh great, it works !  :)

another question... is there a way to send the sound out of my expander to modplug, to send it in a reverb plug in for example ?

because some channels of my song use normal modplug samples, with a reverb plugin that has a lot of latency (~0.5 sec)... so actually I hear the sound of my expander before the rest of my samples ^^

I would like to apply the reverb on the sound of the Roland SC88 too... any idea ?

LPChip

I wouldn't be surprised if you could clock down the latency somehow.

In OpenMPT this can be done by decreasing the buffersize. Especially with ASIO it can be moved down to 1ms which should remove the lag entirelly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

le_parasite

you can also delay your modplug sample with a vst like VoxengoSampleDelay...
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

LPChip

Quote from: "le_parasite"you can also delay your modplug sample with a vst like VoxengoSampleDelay...

He doesn't want to increase the delay, but to decrease it. :)

You might be able to somehow increase the delay towards your expander so the sound arrives later, but I think that lowering the buffer from your soundcard will already do the trick.

If you don't have ASIO at all, then try the free Asio4All sound drivers. This program simulates ASIO and allows you to get no latency. This will definatelly solve your issue!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Hm... has anybody succeded in sending other midi messages than notes to hardware via VST2MID? I mean, it's to have some drums playing along while you're playing (:D), but it would be even cooler if I could send cutoff effects and similar stuff to the synth via midi messages as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

phanoo

I tested the 'set volume' effect and 'portamento up/down' effect, they works !
but I have a 'tone portamento' in my song, it doesn't works properly (it overlapps the notes instead of doing a portamento between them) [oh i'm not sure if what I say is correct english, lol^^]

for the latency I can't reduce it, because it's my reverb VST that has a such high latency (not my sound card, who has about 10ms latency)
so I have to add latency while sending MIDI messages to the expander. I think it's possible simply by moving my patterns (1 or 2 rows), or by adding some 'note delay' effects (SDxx), if the first method is not precise enough

LPChip

Or you can use another Reverb VST perhaps. :)

As for sending drums through this, use midi channel 10 and it'll work. :)

Saga Musix

I don't know if i should create a bugreport for this since it may be a very complex thing that may also damage other VSTs... I tried VST2MID with channels that have a lower channel volume - didn't change anything at the synth. I tried to lower the global volume - no change. So obviously, the channel volume and global volume are not multiplied with the note volume that's sent to the plugin - can this be changed?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.