[Pop/Easy Listening] Peace (.mp3)

Started by LPChip, June 30, 2008, 07:34:40

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've played a new song on my piano.

This time I tried something slightly different. I used my Yamaha PSR-740 for the rythm and piano sound, while I used my Roland FP-2 to play a VSTi sound. The sound is a combination of chip waveforms to create somekind of jazz guitar/saxophone like sound. It does fit the song very much.

I did had some problems with the volumes of each, but in the end I sorted it out quite nicelly.

The song is a happy and relaxing kind of song called Peace.

Download: http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/LPChip-Peace.mp3 (192kbps)
Duration: about 4:30.

Enjoy, and feedback is always appreciated. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

sorry, but this is too cheesy for me :D but i recognized the yamaha drums instantly! :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Haha thats okay :)

I guess I just like cheese :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mrvegas

Cheesy is fine by me.  I liked the tune and the song structure a lot.  Good ebb and flow.  It was frankly pretty uneven sounding, but conceptually the  song was really quite good.  You might think about actually tracking it using ModPlug and some VSTs.

CrazyAznGamer

:) maybe I'm reminded too much of those crazy chinese karaoke songs they play in the more expensive restaurants when the drunk customers want to get up on stage and make fools of themselves...

I like how it's live, though. Adds some flavor to it. CHEEZ NEED FLAVUR. :D

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"Cheesy is fine by me.  I liked the tune and the song structure a lot.  Good ebb and flow.  It was frankly pretty uneven sounding, but conceptually the  song was really quite good.  You might think about actually tracking it using ModPlug and some VSTs.

Glad you liked it :D

Can you tell me what you mean with uneven? :P

I probably not will remix the song into a tracked version, simply because I can do much more with a tracker, and this song was an experiment to me as it was the first: play with both the keyboard and a VSTi.

The next thing I might try could be creating the rythm and beat entirelly in OpenMPT, and play along using a VSTi.

The only thing I miss would be the ability to control OpenMPT using the keys on the keyboard.

I would very much like it to press keys to jump to a certain pattern. That way I could create a real rythm and play along that. Would you imagine how awesome that would be?

I guess I could try to create a rythm using OpenMPT and then reprogram it on my PSR-740. That way I could use my own rythm, but having OpenMPT in the chain of production just sounds so awesome. :D

LPChip

Quote from: "CrazyAznGamer":) maybe I'm reminded too much of those crazy chinese karaoke songs they play in the more expensive restaurants when the drunk customers want to get up on stage and make fools of themselves...

I like how it's live, though. Adds some flavor to it. CHEEZ NEED FLAVUR. :D

:D This song has quite a typical Yamaha sound to it. Perhaps that explains it? :P

I chose a random rythm by turning the wheel and make it stop at a random location. Rythm was something like 13 or so. Default settings, and it sounded nice :) I wanted to add a vsti sound to it. At first I tried my new spacey piano sound, but it just didn't fit the rythm. I ended up with a jazzy guitar chipsound I made a while back. It sounds a little bit like the yamaha saxophone at times :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Nice work, LP! It might just be the earphones I'm listening on (away from my computer), but the lead seems a tad loud in parts. I agree that it's cheesy, but in a good way. You have some interesting chord progressions - I like the fact that it feels through-composed, rather than just the same four chords over and over again. In the "bridge" section about three quarters of the way through, there are a couple of dissonances which jar somewhat. It sounds sometimes as though you're layering minor chords over major ones. :/

Overall, though, nice work. :) I enjoyed this one.

LPChip

You have a good ear Barry :)

Indeed, I was layering minors over majors. I use rythms using a 1 finger set. In order to do a minor, you must use 2 fingers. I completelly forgot about this, and when I had made the recording I figured it out myself.

The volume thing indeed is not balanced, but thats due to the fact that its quite hard to hit the notes constantly with the same velocity on a hammer-logic piano. So I tuned it to what plays best, but at a few points I got enthausiastic and played them a bit harder. On top of that, The notes in the higher section gets amplified due to an EQ I added, and I forgot to be more gentle with those notes too :P

Do note, this song is a direct play-record on my 2 keyboards, and as usual, it was not pre-composed, but improvised all the way.

bvanoudtshoorn

I know what you mean about the volume, and I know that you played it live. :) I just felt compelled to point them out, though. :P As I said, though, I do like this track - it's really well done.

LPChip

And as usual, I wasn't offended :) Just wanted to further elaborate :)