Old soundcard = bad sound ?

Started by AppO, June 19, 2008, 12:09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

AppO

Hi,

Just a basic question... I use a 15 years old Turtle Beach soundcard on my PC. Does it affect the quality of my MPT tracks based on samples ? Will I hear a tremedous improvement, if I catch a brand new card ?

Thanks !

AppO

:wink:
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

KrazyKatz

I have half an answer for you.

If you are recording from a mic or synth to P.C through the card, then soundcard definitely makes a difference ( better converters for analogue to digital ). However, that means buying a professional card designed for recording.

If you're using other pre-recorded samples than I'm not sure.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

There will be a definite difference in the sound that you hear. And that will mean that you'll deal with your tracks according to that sound, so they'll sound different. :) But the soundcard itself won't affect the samples themselves, only how they sound when played on that particular soundcard.

Saga Musix

Basically, it will sound the same on all devices since all mixing is performed in software. However, old soundcards may not support 44khz oder 16bit playback and other "effects" that improve quality.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I know that soundcard, because my dad had it in one of his older pc's.

If you can upgrade, do!!!

In the time, I've had many different soundcards, and most were even good ones.

In the IT era, I had a Gravis Ultra Sound. Went to a Creative AWE 32 Soundcard, then to a SB Live, SB audigy and I now have an SB X-Fi Elite pro.

Each soundcard is better than the previous, and with each purchase, my songs became alot better. Not just because it sounds nicer, but as bvanoudshoorn points out, by not hearing the sound, you don't hear your mistakes that much either. My XFi now even plays noise if a sample has it, which allows me to seek for good samples, but even tracking using bad samples is better now becaues it just sounds good.

Do note tnat the same applies to speakers. If you upgrade your speakers regulary (say, on a 2 or 3 year bases) you will see how much of a difference this makes. Unless ofcource you already have studio monitors.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

AppO

Thanks to all. Things are more understandable for me. Jut one last question : does the quality of the card affect the quality of the wav rendering ?

AppO

:D
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

Saga Musix

as said, mixing is performed in software. this also means that the WAV is calculated in software, too. The difference only becomes obvious if you listen to the music. the bytes in your WAV file remain the same. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

maleek

Following Jojo, the short answer to your question AppO is: No :)