[Instrumental Rock]Renaissance Man(mp3)

Started by Harbinger, June 17, 2008, 07:47:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Renaissance Man

A song of description, for the self-made man who seeks innovation in all that he does. He is a man that seems to not belong to this race, who thinks on different level of priorities and strives to overcome all of his failings. He is a gentleman in peace and a hero in war. His seeks Truth and Beauty, Refinement and Gentility, Intellect and Art. He is not emotional but opaquely sentimental, reveling in both nostalgia and promise. He sees the good in revolution, and the inherent problems in complacency. There is static comfort in change and motion, and nobility in brevity. He will defend the Innocent, and banish the Boring.

This piece is his stride.

Thanks to Yjana for laying down the drums and Christoph for the organ work; their work and other tracks were assembled with MPT and mixed with a couple of VSTs.

This song is property of Aeon, but is freely available for personal use to members of ModPlug Central, my colleagues. Please do not disseminate or disassemble...

Feel free to criticize or rave about! :wink:

UPDATE: Above link is for a direct download form TraxInSpace.com

mrvegas

This was pretty cool.  Nice mix of MPT and real musicians.  My only criticism is that I would have liked a little more variation either in volume or chord changes -- but don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it.  It sounded good.

(By the way, from the standpoint of asking people to listen, you may want to make sure you link to the very last page where the download is available.  I had to go through several pages to get to it.  I don't mind, since I trust the MPT site, but a lot of people like to just click on a link and have the mp3 come right up.  I suspect that's one reason you don't have a lot of comments.)

Sam_Zen

2 mrvegas
Good you mention the several steps of download dialogs on the Center, relating to the license thing.
I don't mind so much clicking a few times, but it would be more elegant for example to have a "I agree" link at the top of the description too, instead of having to scroll to the bottom.
In this case, the final URL for a direct download would be :
http://download.modplug.com/uploads/files/1212991091Renaissance%20Man.mp3
So I wondered, is this leading 10 digit number intended by Harbinger, or added by the Download Center ?

The song has a nice mood. I agree with mrvegas about a little lack of variations.
Especially the crash cymbal is a bit predictable and every time exactly the same.
But at this moment it's hard to review properly with a temporary set of 4 W speakers...

Harbinger

Quote from: "mrvegas"
(By the way, from the standpoint of asking people to listen, you may want to make sure you link to the very last page where the download is available.  I had to go through several pages to get to it.  I don't mind, since I trust the MPT site, but a lot of people like to just click on a link and have the mp3 come right up.  I suspect that's one reason you don't have a lot of comments.)

I kinda thought that might be the problem. But i want for people who DL our works of art understand under what conditions they're allowed to do so. That understanding is the ONLY reason why we're willing to share with you my colleagues in tracking.
Our vband Aeon is only a music project group, not a real gig band. We don't do jobs. We don't even jam. We're like classical musicians with tracking software and MIDI. It has never been and will never be about money and fame, just the inspiration crying to be borne.
Myself, i'm persnickety about what we do with what we produce, though we share loosely with trusted and true friends and colleagues. All of us, especially Yjana, was reticent about uploading our music to the internet. We want no part of the "modern music machine." (Hey there's an idea for a song!)

bvanoudtshoorn

I like this, Harbinger. What I do miss, though, is a bit of progression in the bass line. The rest of the instruments all develop in various ways, but the bass seems to sit on an octave-jumping groove the whole way through... But don't misunderstand me - I liked this track! It's well-constructed, and well-executed. Nice work as always. :)

Harbinger

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"What I do miss, though, is a bit of progression in the bass line. The rest of the instruments all develop in various ways, but the bass seems to sit on an octave-jumping groove the whole way through...

If i may offer a slight defense for your slight criticism....
If our bass man Loth was still with us he would have tilled the field very well. But alas we are stuck with me trying to track the bass with one sample throughout. I rely on the bass like every other composer to ground the melodic progressions and to provide chord roots, but i know what you're talking about -- it still needs some Soul. But for this song, i deemed the bass line adequate enough for a traditional Rock instrumental.