Your musical background

Started by Squirrel Havoc, December 28, 2005, 14:47:36

Previous topic - Next topic

speed-goddamn-focus

To me the Crystal Method sounds like fake Chemical Brothers. ;)

DavidN

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Gaspy Conana"...real music...
Could you give the definition for that?

I'd say that real music is music that's written with some sort of talent, and not just as a vehicle for the promotion of an image, if that makes any sense.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to mention that Gaspy Conana's name is suspisiously familiar to me.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Wong"I'd say that real music is music that's written with some sort of talent...
Fascinating view - with such it might be that the music I(and many others) have done is quite unreal  :)

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Wong"I'd say that real music is music that's written with some sort of talent...
Fascinating view - with such it might be that the music I(and many others) have done is quite unreal  :)

Dittto, but I doubt anyone would call my music "real"
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

I consider music as real when I listen to it

Squirrel Havoc

You know what's funny about this, is that some people don't consider music made on a computer real, because you don't have to know how to play an instrument. So it's kinda funny that us trackers are talking about real music and all
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

A composer doesn't have to know how to play an instrument either, but its still conciddered to be real music. (like beethoven etc) they let an orchestra play his music.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"You know what's funny about this, is that some people don't consider music made on a computer real, because you don't have to know how to play an instrument.
Doing computer music can be quite difficult, if one doesn't know how to 'play' any 'instrument', like OMPT      :)

Sam_Zen

Learning how to play or make some significant music on a PC, or an acoustical instrument, not differs much. A matter of an instrument, offering certain variable controls to change the output. To be able to perform what you finally want, there is no difference in efforts and time, learning how to play the clarinet part in a score of a symphony, or a tracker, arranging the samples in the intended order under the intended circumstances. And is fine-tuning it.
A major difference between acoustical (manual) and electronic (autophonic) instruments is simply : the energy.
If nobody blows air in a flute, it doesn't make any sound. If the blown air stops, the sound stops too.
An electronic instrument does have this energy all the time. The player doesn't have to provide that by some physical action. So in fact the control is changed. Without any faders or switches a connected synth makes noise all the time.

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

me... i played a game called jazz jackrabbit 2. i told my friend to remix a song for me... and it didnt work in the game properly, it was supposed to though. so he gave me the prog modplug tracker. i figured, hey, y not? so i asked him for a few tips, and after a year... i FINALLY learned how to put samples into the song :P and i jstu practised.... also... i played the recorder in elementary... and trumpet in middle school:P
Eat... Its good for you.

cyperkid

as i am new here, i'd like to introduce myself the same way...
i never had any classical music education, i just started doing music by getting fasttracker2 packed with three disks full of samples (ripped from the usual MODs and some newer EuroDance-crap) back in 95.
there were some attempts to switch to the trackers of my amiga, but i didn't enjoy the "guru's meditations"...and i never felt sorry to stay with msdos.
a very deep friendship with FT2 arose & we're still together, though i am using hardware and other software (and at least post-msdos-programms) too

turned out after 3-4 years that i slowly got bored with the structures of (conventional) dance music, and after trying to build up rave, techno, some ambient alike drones and some rare (goa) trance XMs i started to turn into a noiz-maker.
8)
now i am sometimes running 3 PCs with three different fasttrackers simultaniously and enjoy the feeling, the rhythms and the frequencies.
commodore stole my childhood

Waxhead

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I consider music as real when I listen to it

The best defenition so far ;)

MT

I'd wanted to play the keys since I was really little, and finally decided to take lessons when I was thirteen (in 2000).  My parents got me an awesome keyboard and I took lessons for three years but I wasn't really into it at that time.  I also didn't know how to work some of the great features it came with (mixing, etc.) so it seemed like an electronic version of a piano.

I got a Stratocaster in 2003 and took lessons for that for a while, but that was truthfully less interesting than the keyboard.  So I stopped taking music lessons that year.

Learning to read music, and learning all the chords and scales and what-not had bored me to tears.  What I really wanted to do was make the kind of music I heard in some of my all-time favourite video games and I didn't know how to go about doing it.  So I did nothing till mid-2005 when I went looking for ways to make some electronica-style music.  I tried the FrootyLoops demo but for many reasons it was definitely not suitable for me.

Then I found the MODPlug Tracker sometime around August last year.  I had been listening to the music from Deus Ex using MODPlug Player for a year or so beforehand and was surprised to find out that the main purpose of MODPlug was actually making the music.  I found the tracker method of making music the best because it showed everything I needed to know in simple ways.  Reading 'C#-5' is so much easier for me to understand than what I suppose you'd call 'conventional' sheet music.

Then I did some research into my favourite artists, particularly Alexander Brandon and Michiel Van Den Bos, who did the music for Deus Ex - exactly the kind of ambient electronica I wanted to make.  Man was I pleased when I found out they did it all with a tracker.

Since then I've been playing around, looking at other peoples' modules, lurking here, and all the time still learning.  I've sworn more coherently learning MPT than any other program and this is good because it means I'm making progress.  I'm having a blast.

PS: Hi.

LPChip

Quote from: "MT"
Since then I've been playing around, looking at other peoples' modules, lurking here, and all the time still learning.  I've sworn more coherently learning MPT than any other program and this is good because it means I'm making progress.  I'm having a blast.

PS: Hi.

Hi MT,

Yeah. MODPlug is a nice place to learn about music and stuff. You do have a little advantage by the fact that you've learned to play the piano and the stratocaster (although im not exactly sure what that is :P) If you'll come in a later stage in music development, you'll want to play on your keyboard in order to see how you play certain melodies. Tracking them that way will make them sound very realistic.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Bubblenugget

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"To me the Crystal Method sounds like fake Chemical Brothers. ;)

According to Kazaa, what's the difference?  Ever song in the world was written by both.  lol

And, no.  I hate kazaa.