Portable Music Studio

Started by Louigi Verona, June 09, 2008, 08:52:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Guys, I present to you my small development - a sort of a digital studio design, which are my suggestions on different software which can be deployed to any computer, even at your job, even from USB, to allow you to do music in very difficult conditions. It might be useful to some people.

The doc is here:

http://lv.velvic.com/PortableMusicStudio2.doc

älskling

Very nice Louigi, I hope this can inspire others.

Only comment is that I will try out SAVIHost and I find the acronym PMS amusing.

Louigi Verona

älskling

Because I only knew the acronym from Premenstrual syndrome, a collection of physical, psychological and emotional symptoms related to a woman's menstrual cycle. What can I say, I'm so immature.

KrazyKatz

Outstanding addition for when you got inspiration and just have to put it down... but you're not at home! I love the Sneaky "at the office" tips ;).

This is a great option for die hard sequencer composers.

Of course for trackers, OMPT is also tiny and doesn't mess with the registry. Plus you don't have to record in real time, so it's editable.

Just a Question of preference.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Louigi Verona

True, but to me the described method allows more freedom. Not all VST work in OMPT and here you can generally work with any sound you can record.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm, nice work, LV. I would recommend sticking OpenMPT in there, and also take a look at Xlutop Chainer as something which does a similar (but slightly more complete) job than I think Savihost does. Chainer's quite old, and not free, but it handles 99% of all plugs (effects + instruments) perfectly, and you can load and save predefined chains of effects/instruments, route them in different ways, record, play with the keyboard, and so on. It runs standalone and as a VST(i) itself. [I use it in OpenMPT to give me support for plugs that OpenMPT can't run, like Kontakt].

I really like the concept of this system. What would be really nice would be a setup system which includes the shareware version of Goldwave, Savihost, OpenMPT, and shareware Chainer, and which will install it onto a memory stick for you, along with your documentation, and nice shortcuts in the root of the memory stick. :) There's a system like this for web authoring (which includes a webserver, database, and so on), and I really like the idea of an audio equivalent. :)

[I figured I'd post this here and at TiS, because I can.  :P]

Louigi Verona

Thx, I will check out the chainer though what I like about savihost that it's free and very simple to use and GW can be easily used as shareware, while as far as I can see Chainer's limitations are pretty serious and until you buy it you can't really use it.

As for creating a package, I will certainly do it, a very good idea indeed!

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, I know that that's a problem with Chainer. But it's a really fantastic piece of software nevertheless. :) That's why it's still being sold six years after it was last updated. :D

Yes, create a package! I always used to use the Inno Setup Compiler for doing that sort of thing - very easy to use, and (if you know how to program) it's fully scriptable, too.