[ambient/dronescape] Space Singers (mp3)

Started by Louigi Verona, April 15, 2008, 21:16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

-=Space Singers=-

This is a 28 minute ambient composition in two parts.
Part 1. Ritual (0:00-16:00)
Part 2. Arrival (16:00-28:48)

The tune tells a legend according to which there is a ritual that allows to summon a mysterious alien race known as Singers. They are creatures whose movement is accompanied by sounds and musical tones. They appear around for a short period of time and then vanish, leaving fading dancing lights behind them.

Sam_Zen

First a technical nag remark : I think the split of the parts is at 18:00.

A nice legend I must say.

Pt 1) Beautiful. It has a 'calling up' atmosphere.
Taliking about sound. While listening, after a while I felt the urge to use some 'bass boost' to enhance lower harmonics.
The 'drone' is somewhat light. And afterwards I wished I'd heard that wooden flute a few times more.

Pt 2) Exciting. Energies passing by.

Louigi Verona

The drone theme of Arrival starts at 16:00... the break at 18:00 is just an interesting move, but it is part of Arrival.

Thx for the bass tip, on my speakers I have no such effect.

The wooden flute is actually a low whistle which I played into the mic )

Thx for listening, Sam!

cubaxd

Great sound. When the airplane sound played for the first time, i had to take off my headphones to make sure, it wasn't over my head :)
I think, the second part was a bit more enjoyable to me that the first one.  There is more atmosphere.

Louigi Verona

1st part is more calm dronescape music, second is a large ambient landscape, more "interesting" and I like it more too )
But to me it was pretty important to write the first part as it is one of my first attempts to make pure drone.

Sam_Zen

I made 2 seperate files of this, for handling convenience, but I will correct them to the 16:00 point.

About the bass tip : of course which speakers are used makes a difference.
If I would switch to my hifi-set, it would have more 'body'.
But I always use the same pc-set with the same flat tone-setting listening to the submissions here.
So I can compare them in equal conditions. (if I recall well, the original mp3 had quite a low volume-peak, ~ 60 %.

Louigi Verona

I decided to release Arrival as a separate tune since people like it more.

I will also work on the Ritual part a bit more in the future, see if after time there is any need to add something or change something.

Yeah, the original volume of the tune in the sequencer is extremely low, but this is the only way to work with ambient stuff for me - I need enough dynamic space to handle everything so usually start off at very low volumes.

But again, most drone music is intended to be listened at low volumes. Steve Roach in his Slow Heat even advised a low volume in spite of all the detail in the 72 minute tune.

Louigi Verona

I have fixed the first version of the file (if you listen carefully, you can hear some ticks and other artifacts, including noise) and removed all the artifacts which found after listening to the tune many times. The new fixed (and final version) can be found here:

http://lv.velvic.com/singers_2.mp3