[Experimental] Drifting (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 11, 2008, 15:11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Dawn. Another day at sea. He's lost count how many days it's been. Fifteen? Sixteen? Not much water left now.

He lies on his back in the lifeboat, listening to the rhythm of the boat: the splash of the waves, the idle flapping of the hastily rigged sail, the ropes on the mast.

The sun climbs higher.

His vacant eyes stare up at the harsh blue sky, the angry white of the sun burning his pupils unnoticed. An albatross hangs in the air in the distance, turns towards him, circles his boat.

The hours pass, and the albatross is gone. Just him, the sun, and the rhythm of the boat.

Download (Source)

Sam_Zen

Beautiful, that's what it is.
And I like the playing with time signatures in the melodies.

Nahkranoth

Sam_Zen is right, it's really beautiful.
But to me there are too much high frequencies, as in your "It's quiet at home" (which I liked too :) ). Can someone confirm this? Otherwise it's time to throw my headphones away :D

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks Sam_Zen and Nahkranoth! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Noth, the track does have some high frequencies (especially the bells), but I don't think it's excessive... Of course, it could be that my soundcard/headphones aren't emphasising the high frequencies enough, so I'm pumping them up too high. :)

Sam_Zen

Boosted freq areas always is a fuzzy problem, because everybody has a different sound reproduction system.
With it's own hardware, headphones, small or big speakers, plus the settings of the software.

But this is a relative thing.
Because as long as the playback conditions are the same for each review, it's possible to detect a non-balanced element or area.

So I relistened :
The HF is indeed quite prominent in the minimalistic bells, but I can accept it, as part of the nature of it.
Talking about prominent, maybe the conga's are slightly too loud.

Saga Musix

beautiful indeed. no need to say more.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mrvegas

Very nice -- a good soundtrack piece.  I could easily picture the scene you set.  Your music is continually improving, and I think you've branched out successfully from your earlier attempts at something more purely classical.  I've felt that what you've taken from your classical experiments has actually translated into better music in other genres, like the music you've done here or even some of your techno.  Nice work.