.52 No panning possible anymore in XM!

Started by Saga Musix, April 29, 2008, 18:24:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
nope!

Description of the bug:
You've probably misunderstood what a XM module actually doesn't have: it doesn't have Instrument and Channel panning, but it has sample panning! And since .52, this input field is locked! So you actually can't use panning in XM files anymore! Playback of loaded xm modules is still working correctly, though.

--Edit by mod: Edited the topic and description to prevent panic.--
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I can confirm that sample panning is the way to pan in XM files.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

The 'Set Pan' dialog in the Sample tab shouldn't be greyed out. But apart from the string itself, the able-box is inactive too.
So it can't be changed by blanking the 'V'.
Oddly enough, the changing of the value still defines the pan-position when playing the sample from the tag.

More to this :
The XM format may lack an Initial Pan in the General Tab, but it does have a pan-setting in the Instrument tab.
It's the panning envelope, which I have used many times. Click the headphones and Pan and draw a line.
If this function is used, the 'Set Pan' value in the Sample tab should be (normally) set in the middle, so 128.

This still works, although I wonder about the fact that now suddenly the lower part of the screen means Left.

Relabsoluness

Am I the only one who doesn't have the input field locked for XM? The disable/enable option should, however, be locked, because that setting is always enabled when loading XM even if it was saved with disabled status. And yes, it's a minor bug that it is sometimes disabled while locked.

Saga Musix

QuoteAm I the only one who doesn't have the input field locked for XM?
pretty strange, it's not locked anymore. i'll do some further tests to look what's up...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

QuoteThe disable/enable option should, however, be locked, because that setting is always enabled when loading XM even if it was saved with disabled status.
I see. And the input field can be edited, so no practical problem actually.
But I don't see a reason why the term 'Set Pan' should be set grey too.

I checked also when starting a new XM file. Then the situation is is not consequent.
The disable/enable option plus term are still grey, the value still can be changed in the input field.
But there's no 'V" in the able box.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I checked also when starting a new XM file. Then the situation is is not consequent.
The disable/enable option plus term are still grey, the value still can be changed in the input field.
But there's no 'V" in the able box.
Indeed a slight problem there, but I don't think that is worth keeping the report open.