VSTi Mod wheel

Started by CoolDudeClem, April 27, 2008, 15:23:30

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolDudeClem

Hi, this is my first post here, I was wondering if it's possible to controll a VSTi mod wheel in Mod-Plug Tracker, I recently got a copy of Steinberg Hypersonic 2 (sounds awesome by the way) :P .  MPT seems to be able to host it fine, but the thing is, to change variations of some of the sounds U have to use the mod wheel, and I don't know how to do this in MPT. I've looked though all the commands (like Dxx volume slide, Jxx Arpegio) , but i cant find a "Mod Wheel" or a "Pitch Wheel" command. :(
Life brings you great gifts with one hand, and stabs you in the back with the other.

Saga Musix

This has to be done via MIDI CC messages, since modplug doesn't have a "mod wheel".

First, you have to create a midi macro that can control CC messages:

then you, can simply use Zxx or #xx to control the mod wheel, like this:

ModPlug Tracker  IT
|........SF1
|........Z00
|........Z0B
|........Z15
|........Z20
|........Z2A
|........Z35
|........Z3F
|........Z4A
|........Z55
|........Z5F
|........Z6A
|........Z74
|........Z7F
|........Z6F
|........Z5F
|........Z4F
|........Z40
|........Z30
|........Z20
|........Z10
|........Z00

(copy the code to your clipboard and then insert it into modplug).

with the SF1 code, you switch to the midi macro that we've created in the first step (it could also be SF2 if you've loaded it into macro slot 2). then, you can modulate the values that are sent to the VSTi with the Zxx command, values are ranging from Z00 to Z7F.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anboi

what jojo said for modwheel but pitch wheel is a wee bit different:
to change the pitch wheel on a vst all you need to do is use the normal tracker commands for pitch (portamento) up and down. these are Exx and Fxx using .it format. watch out for different vsts having different ranges of pitch bend, a lot are changeable on the vst itself, some are fixed.

(this might seem obvious & intuitive but i spent ages a while back trying to find the pitch wheel option in the macro pages and going mad wondering where it was before stumbling onto the answer by accident later)

Saga Musix

haha, stuck in the details, i even forgot to post about the easy pitch wheel part :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.