[Unidentified genre] Past Regrets

Started by Nahkranoth, April 09, 2008, 08:50:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

After nearly a year of distraction and lack of time/will/etc it is finished. This track is about things that you want to forget but they keep coming again and nothing you can do except get used to it.
At the beginning it was just simple passage that I accidentally threw in when playing with some VSTi.
Nahkranoth - Past Regrets

bvanoudtshoorn

I really like the guitar work in this track - it's very well done. Is that you playing, or a VSTi? Really, though, there's not a lot I *don't* like about the track. :) The sound quality of some of the parts, though, isn't as high as the guitar. But the use of effects, the movement form idea to idea, and the way the song fits together as a whole is fantastic.

Great stuff.

Nahkranoth

Thanks, bv!
And to your question:
Though I have REAL guitar, I'm not a good player and it's difficult for me to get THAT sound without a noise, so heavy guitar is played by ReFX Slayer (I want to buy it but it's difficult atm).
Acoustic guitar: at the beginning I was playing with /*don't remember the name*/ VSTi, but the trial period has ended so I replaced it with guitar from some GM soundfont (Fluid_GM?) and a bunch of effects to make it sound not so thin. Still I'm not happy with the sound.
And it would be good to hear what exactly you don't like, since I still have not deleted the .IT and can make some changes :D

Sam_Zen

A very strong piece.
You know me, so I have a remark :

At 1:25 a very nice guitar part, but at 1:40 an abrupt change into a plain and prominent piano.
I felt as a short disappointment, because it doesn't seem to fit in the spirit of the song.

I liked the sound of the ac. guitar at the start, so maybe give it a second chance to play that piano part ?

Nahkranoth

2Sam_Zen:
Yes, the transition is abrupt, but when I tried to add some parts it seemed endless, like a bridge to connect two bridges. To my mind the track itself consists of transitions only. Maybe I can add something again but later - the ideas I've got now just don't fit there.
And just to change piano to guitar would require to rewrite the whole part, I think, and I don't want to dispose of that damped piano sound ::)
Finally, glad you've noticed the same things as me, so it's not just my self-criticism after all. :D

Sam_Zen

I noticed those transitions, but I said 'abrupt' not because anything was missing, and things should be added.
The form is fine, but the piano was to me just a strange jump in the 'sound palette' offered so far.

But take in consideration, that I'm quite biased in not liking the sound of a piano in general. :)

Although I don't know the IT-score, I don't see a reason why it would be necessary to rewrite the whole part of the piano.
It could be tested by just replacing one instrument-number by another in that particular phrase.