[demostyle/electronic]At Modplug Central (mp3)

Started by Louigi Verona, April 02, 2008, 17:41:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

This is an old song I made somewhere in 2002 and it is still one of my favs. At that time it was the first song I made which would not feature any motif and be just this... electronic tune with an abstract feel to it. When I released it at Modplug, I thought it would be a hit, but obviously it was not.
Still, you can see the direction. After this tune I've spent several more years writing happy tunes and was known as a composer of "good melodies and stuff" but I was not satisfied with what I do. Only when I went back to the road of more abstract electronic music did I find much more satisfaction.

Velvic: http://lv.velvic.com/AtModplugCentral.mp3

TiS: http://www.traxinspace.com/song/39915

Sam_Zen

Very good 'vintage' tracking..

I can understand that making only 'happy tunes' is not satisfying on the long term, so you tended to explore the more abstract fields.
When starting making modules, often there's the tendency to 'please' the audience with the work (you expected a hit).

In the end, first the work needs to please the composer. And pleasing is not necessarily synonym with 'pleasant'.
If I feel that I succeeded in making a song, as I had it in mind, I'm pleased. Also if it has very unhappy sounds.

The drums interlude at 2:50 is very nice, with already a touch of the abstract by means of the very fast roll-sound at the left.

Louigi Verona

Not exactly. I felt it would be a hit because I was very satisfied with it. My biggest success was with The Breeze Dance which I didn't think was a special tune.

älskling

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"My biggest success was with The Breeze Dance which I didn't think was a special tune.
It's a very special tune!

bvanoudtshoorn

It's a good track, LV, but I honestly don't think that it's as good as some of your other stuff (particularly Monk, which you *know* I love!) :) That being said, it's still something that I'm gonna keep in my media library.