Modplug Tracker - .IT & .XM filesize problems

Started by Mang, March 29, 2008, 23:52:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Mang

Hi.

Is there any way in Modplug Tracker that I can reduce the quality of a .WAV file I've imported so that when I export it to .IT or .XM it won't be a huge file.

See, I've composed a song using other software and it's currently a full quality .WAV file and I wish to make lower quality .XM and .IT versions of it. The track is 31mb and I'd like it to be less than 5mb in XM and IT formats.

How can I reduce the filesize/quality in Modplug Tracker?

Alternatively, is there any way I can import a .MP3 track into Modplug Tracker?

LPChip

First of, you shouldn't want to build a module just to play a wav file. Not only will it be more resourcefull to play the module by its player over playing it as wav file, but converting that wav to mp3 will result in a smaller file with still good quality (even if you use 320k bit rate, it will be alot smaller than you'll ever get in a module.

Now, since you obviously also would like an answer to your question, I'll answer it too.

After you've loaded your sample in the sample window, you'll see 2 icons in the toolbar. Upsample and Downsample. Downsampling will remove bits from the wav file and smoothening it out. The more you downsample the less high frequencies there will be. You should be able to downsample a few times without getting an auditable quality loss. If you however wanna go to a really low filesize, it will certainly be hearable.

Secondly, you can rightclick to convert from stereo to mono and from 16 bits to 8 bits. 2 ways to reduce the filesize in half, aside from downsampling.

But even with these methods used, converting the wav to mp3 will always give a much better quality/filesize ratio.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Mang

Thanks, that's been helpful!

:D

Still I wish there were a way to import .mp3 but nevermind

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: Actually I do have another question, I notice that when I make a .IT file it will add a few seconds of silence onto the end of the track, is there anyway to prevent this from happening?

Snu

ok... out of curiosity, why are you making a wav file into a module...?
why not just use a low quality wav, or like lp suggested mp3 or ogg. there is absolutely no advantage to use a module in that case, unless you want to layer multiple wav files...
as for the silence, you'll have to adjust the length of the last pattern in the sequence, or raise the tempo of the song a bit.
also, there is a special module format that supports mp3 samples, i cant remember what its called tho, and very few things support it.

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"
as for the silence, you'll have to adjust the length of the last pattern in the sequence, or raise the tempo of the song a bit.
also, there is a special module format that supports mp3 samples, i cant remember what its called tho, and very few things support it.

You can use the C00 effect on a row to cut that pattern. It will allow you to break the last pattern earlier (and therefore stop the song earlier)

The fileformat is mo3. But as Snu says, only a few programs and plugins support mo3, and I bet that if you want to use the song in a project, then if that project supports mo3, it will also support mp3 or ogg, where converting from wav to mp3 or ogg will be much more benefitial.

Perhaps if you told us what you want to accomplish, we can give better advice, cus it seems that the answer to your question can be answered much easier if we know what the goal is.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs