How to increase latency (max buffer size)?

Started by mrvegas, March 27, 2008, 14:56:43

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

I notice that in player settings it seems that the maximum buffer setting is 200 ms. I'm using a lot of effects plug-ins on a song, and I'm starting to get crackling on a pretty powerful PC.  There's nothing live here, so I don't care about latency.  How can I increase it to get it to play back better with crackling?

Thanks.

LPChip

It shouldn't get you latency problems at that stage. I guess some plugins are bad programmed and just get you max cpu usage.

I've had this with a Reverb plugin called Ambience-<date> Very good plugin, but also very resourcefull.

My track had 10 instances of it, and at some points it got to distort and cracle up my song. I bought a new processor because it was only slightly. The processor was way better than my previous one, and the cracling still occoured. Okay, it was maybe 2% better, but you see, the problem is not the hardware or settings, but bad plugins.

Check what plugins you use and see if you can create a situation where you can use less of those plugins or change them from less powerfull ones.

If you indeed use reverb, see if it has a cpu/quality setting and try to set it to less cpu usage.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

Of course, features such as freezing tracks and send channels wouldn't hurt either.

ASIO drivers perhaps?

mrvegas

Thanks for the tips guys.  You were right, it's the plug.  It's Electronisounds Ubergate -- a really cool multi-effect, but if you use it to full capacity, each instance will take up to 30% CPU even on a decent computer.  The delay, modulation, and EQ sections seem to eat up huge amounts of CPU.  I even ran it through Psycle with over a second of latency and that didn't help much.

Oh well.