[Rock n' roll] One after 909 (.mp3)

Started by KrazyKatz, March 17, 2008, 13:21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

I was contracted to mix a recording of a group doing this original beatles number. The recording was pretty much thrown together and I was given the job of mixing the mess into magic.

There was only Vocals, Acoustic Guitar & Rhythm Guitar. I added the Bass, Drums, Saxes, Jazz Organ and Lead Guitar at the end.

After insane processing & touch up, heres the product. I'm posting this because there are one or two elements I hear that need fixing up, but I want to hear what YOU have to say about it.

If you're interested in how it sounded before the mix I could post that too.

Well, here it is:

http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/One-after-909.mp3

Criticism highly appreciated.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

Not bad! But I think there are a few tuning issues on that rhythm guitar. :( Guess there's not much you can do about that, though. Also, the organ seems to have a bit too much presence for me. I like your guitar solo at the end! Perhaps a little too much bass, though. There are also a couple of timing issues here and there; not sure if that's intentional (to give it the "live" feel, maybe?)

Overall, though, great work as usual, krazykatz. You can hear that there's been a lot of work put into it. I actually think that your additions sound a lot better than the material you had to work with, from what I can hear. :)

älskling

Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription... is more cowbell!

Sam_Zen

A tight piece of good ole rock and roll..
And I like the positioning of the drumkit in the mix, as it's not at the always predictable center for a change.

I've mixed feelings though about the guitar at the end. Yes, it suggests to start a solo, but it stops before becoming one.

KrazyKatz

@ Bvanoudtshoorn - You make a lot of sense. The Jazz organ could sit a little better in the mix. Timing issues are indeed intentional, this is after all old school Rock' n Roll. As for the tuning, well like you say... we do what we can ;) Thanks for the input.

@ alskling - Indeed cowbell is a fine prescription to a fever. But its a very strong medication best used sparingly. In this case I think I would have done more harm than good. Definite food for thought though hmmm... I wander...

@ Sam Zen

Your mixed feelings on the lead are entirely justified. There really needs to be a longer solo at the end, but the band didn't give me enough bars to do much more ;) Well you do the best with what you got is the rule.
As for the drums, I wholeheartedly agree that mixing & recording drums these days is flat out non-human and wrong. Drums sound mechanical  and 'flat' these days. There are no drummers like the old school rock drummers- except maybe the old school jazz drummers ;).

Thanks a lot gents!
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Sam_Zen

Quoteno drummers like the old school rock drummers- except maybe the old school jazz drummers
Right on.
But nowadays the drums doesn't have to sound mechanical and 'flat' anymore. It depends on the approach of playing again.
A friend of mine parked his electronic drumkit, the Roland TD-7, in my studio, and it's very sophisticated.

When the first 'drumcomputers' (very flat and mechanical) were introduced, there was a lot of disdain about them
by the 'real' musicians. But strange enough it was the same time, with musical trends like disco, when drummers
in a band tried to play as robotic as possible.

Harbinger

Always the skeptic, i had to force myself to listen to a Beatles remake, but i found myself quite surprised. (Actually it sounds like something Elvis would have done.)

For a project that started with so little, you really did a lot!! I have only 2 criticisms to make your good work even better...

1. The drum sequence is decent, but you definitely need better samples, especially for the kick and snare. The BD is hardly there and needs to be a steady backup for the song movement (just be careful not to 'house' it). The snare sounds like the membrane is made of wood, so i would suggest either a better resampling of what you have, or a better sample. I remember what drums sound like in the 60s/70s, and this needs a touch of work. However, don't change the sequencing and riffs -- that's well done (even my drummer thinks so!).

2. The ending, as you already mentioned, needs something. What i felt like was missing when i listened the second time was a grand flourish of an exit on the rock organ, with the EG hanging back. Whaddayathink?

Normally i don't listen to this kind of old-time rock-and-roll (i'm a Disco/NewWave sycophant -- what can i say :D ), but i'd like to keep this in my rotation. You did a most excellent job so far! 8)

KrazyKatz

Harbinger,

Thanks for taking the time from your usual genres! What you're saying strikes true. I was also perturbed with the drum samples. It's very hard to find good old school style samples of drums that aren't so "modern tight & crispy". As for the drum sequencing, thanks. My main instrument is actually drums, with a focus on Rock, so I've had a little practice ;)

That organ fix on the end could really be what the pieces needs for a more well received ending. It's a really good idea, which I had initially but lost in the process of things. I've already done so much to this piece that I'm too burnt out to do drastic musical changes.
But I really want to thank you for the input. It's definitely appreciated.

Heres the original so you get an idea of what I had to deal with :P

http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/Before.mp3

Seriously to all you guys who could use a second ear on your own pieces, drop me a line and I'd be glad to extend to you the same courtesy you've shown me.
Sonic Brilliance Studios