Unleashing Modplug.

Started by KrazyKatz, February 11, 2008, 11:38:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Modplug Catch up with Pro industry standard?

Yes. Modplug would only become better!
18 (78.3%)
No. Modplug should remain an old-school vintage software.
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 11, 2008, 11:38:55

LPChip

People tend to forget that OpenMPT already has great capabilities.

For instance, the few examples Sam_Zen asks for are already possible. Perhaps this "scripting" will make it easier, but why add something if it can be done already?

You can simply apply an effect at a certain stage by settings the plugin's wet/dry ratio from 0% to 100% using the Zxx macro functionality.

To repeat that verse, simply enter those patterns in the orderlist.

But I think the best way to get this "scripting" to a next level is by altering the OpenMPT in such way that its not so heavilly dependend on all those libraries, and therefor rely on Visual Studio so much. Then we could easilly get coders, because you don't need such expensive program.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

maleek

LPChip:

You are of course correct. But although macro is splendid for it's preciseness, it isn't always intuitive. A more visual/graphical approach is sometimes exactly what you need to get out your ideas fast.

I know very little of Visual Studio and the possibilities of using different programs, but I really like the debates and the discussion. Modplug should be an alive community with different ideas. :) And it's nice to see that people are opinionated, although I wish we could be more people active in the discusisons.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"But I think the best way to get this "scripting" to a next level is by altering the OpenMPT in such way that its not so heavilly dependend on all those libraries, and therefor rely on Visual Studio so much. Then we could easilly get coders, because you don't need such expensive program.
I doubt getting rid of VS means that it would be easy to get coders. Related to this, some might be interested that recently it was announced that Visual Studio among other programs will be freely available for students in various countries(with special terms of use, though).

anboi

i was thinking recently that the 'visualise effect' thing would be great to be useable to change the volume as well (and the code would be pretty much the same i think), and then thought 'why not the notes as well?' and then realised that as simple as the visualise effect pane is it's hugely effective and intuitive and not so far from a very simple piano roll type thing if you could just use it to set note pitch and length. would that be a simple(ish!) way of appeasing the people who wish for a more graphical interface without changing the interface for anyone else? so for an example - instead of writing in the notes as usual you select a channel and right click select 'visualise note' (uhh, probably a better name than that can be thought of by someone!) this then shows a mini piano roll style thing, the notes can then be drawn into here and they're added as regular tracked notes in the column that was selected. perhaps advance that a wee bit to do multiple channels (ie chords).

- just an idea i thought i'd throw out in the open, personally a more graphical interface is not something i'd like prioritised but i think a lot of people would disagree. i've probably overlooked some daft reasons for why this wouldn't work or would be rubbish! (i have considered the horizontal Vs vertical thing but i think if it's popping up another wee window it could go either way)

Harbinger

I vote that we keep things nice and easy. Progress and features are nice, but it invariably means that the software gets more complicated, or less intuitive, or more error-prone, or all of the above. For me MPT is the next best thing to full on-board synth/sequencer, which i can't afford right now. My muse can still dance while i'm poor...

However, i would like to see an MPT that makes music creation EASIER. I'm constantly coming up with nice beats and basslines in my head, but they become lost when i begin to put them into a snippet i can come back to later. What i need is a "note"pad, a sort of tracker template where i all i need to do is set a tempo, punch notes into their spots in the phrase, select instruments for the notes or the tracks i put them on, then save it in a little file that MPT can read and load into a fuller setup. The notepad would have a simple interface, no tabs or anything, drag-n-drop, no VSTS, just punch and save (and maybe a place for comments so i don't forget the original inspiration.)