Unleashing Modplug.

Started by KrazyKatz, February 11, 2008, 11:38:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Modplug Catch up with Pro industry standard?

Yes. Modplug would only become better!
18 (78.3%)
No. Modplug should remain an old-school vintage software.
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 11, 2008, 11:38:55

KrazyKatz

Do you think that Modplug should have improved VSTi capabilities, Better sampling, and other features that have become industry Standard? Or should Modplug remain a Tracker software in a separate school of its own?

I want to see how much demand we have for improving Modplug. Once we know this, well have a better idea where to take it from there.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

i agree with better VST(i) support, but i really don't it to become yet another Cubase or whatever...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KrazyKatz

Just to Clarify... OMPT will always remain as a Tracker, and not a sequencer.

I'm just looking to see if people are interested in implementing features that have become required for professional output. That means automation, 24 bit sampling, Better threading, maybe even video synch support. Would additions like these improve your life, or do you think that this is going too far and OMPT should remain a "hobbyist" tool?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, I think OpenMPT will (need to) move forward. However, the devs don't always have time. If we, as a community, could sponsor someone to develop it full-time, we'd have our every desire satisfied in no time. But there's been no talk of that...

KrazyKatz

As a matter of fact, I have talked about it for a while behind the scenes with our team, its true that cash isn't really the issue, but time at the moment. Lets see where we stand with this poll and we can move forward from there.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

seventhson

I am trying to work with mpt on a (semi) professional basis, so improvements that have become industry standard would be most welcome.

LPChip

There are always things that can be improved, but I personally don't see those as a motivation to push OpenMPT towards a proffesional kind of music tool.

I think that one of the strength of OpenMPT is that it has this hobby feel to it.

True, for songs where I work with VSTi's and such it could be nice, but I also work on songs like chiptunes, and in those cases the tracker can't really be improved.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

I think everyone (except the insane people :P (and the people saying "in know how to make a song in IT2 that won't sound exactly the same in MPT1.12 so MPT suxxors")) wants OpenMPT to improve in every aspect. I doubt that the lack of omnidirectional leaps forward are as much about what people want as it is about who is prepared to do it.

Also, considering the userbase of OpenMPT/MPT is likely quite large, this community is very very small. I wonder why that is.

le_parasite

Quote from: "seventhson"I am trying to work with mpt on a (semi) professional basis, so improvements that have become industry standard would be most welcome.

idem
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Sam_Zen

The choice is a bit suggestive here : 'better' or 'old-school'.
I always get suspicion when hearing about a new 'industrial standard'.
Is it following things for trendy reasons or for technical reasons ?

And I don't agree about this 'hobby' and 'professional' separation as imago.
The 'old-school' format offers maximum control, which demands a professional
approach, knowing about filling in codes, instead of the dragndrop of a soundloop.
It's about craftmanship.
Maybe that's why this community is quite small.

Of course OMPT should be moving forward, but I think it has enough inside potential for development,
instead of following external trendy things, and lowering down to some 'super groove maker'.

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Of course OMPT should be moving forward, but I think it has enough inside potential for development,
instead of following external trendy things, and lowering down to some 'super groove maker'.
I think we've discussed this before and it turned out that you haven't really ever used a modern sequencer enough to know what you're talking about. Accessibility is not a bad thing.

Sam_Zen

Hmm. I'm quite familiar with how things like Rebirth or Reason or AudioMulch works.
And I think the priority in progress of accessibility of a sound-program is always in serving the blind people.

tvdude

I as well use modplug on a "professional" level (since my cd is available in stores where I live, I qualify that as professional).  I have never used Reason, but have been in studios where Cubase is used, and although the sound is phenominal, I personally think that program is way overhyped.  I think it's a case of "the emperor's new clothes", if you know that story at all.  It's a program that appears (again, I have not used it myself, so I am a bit biased) so large and user unfriendly that creating a song becomes a heavy burden. I could be wrong, so please inform me if I am.   Modplug is a small program, yet extremely powerful. You can use soundfonts, samples, vst effects, vst instruments, and the interface is super easy.  Tracking, in my opinion, has taken music writing to a level that enables people with no musical history (like me) to be able to acurately create the music they want, without years of training.  As far as I'm concerned, tracking is to music what the printing press was to reading. It has opened music to the masses.  I will always, always be a tracker.  And while I would like a bit better vst implementation, automation, time code, and 24 bit sampling, (although 24 bit gets compressed to 16 bit on cds anyway, does it not?...which is still industry standard), the only thing in my opinion that would make modplug a "true" professional tool is the sound quality from the sound engine, and from my understanding, at this stage it's not too far off from the industry standard to begin with.  Am I wrong here?  Exactly what is the difference in sound quality with modplug compared to cubase or reason?

Sorry for the long rant, I guess I'm just passionate about this program.  Technology will always change, and media formats will continue to change.  As long as modplug keeps up with those changes, it will remain a powerful tool, and as long as the sound engine of the program is kept current, how can this program not be considered professional?  If I am way off base please inform me.  And anyone coding and testing modplug, your work is outstanding, and I thank you.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Dictator

I can't see why would MPT not develop towards "industrial standards". After all, if we get better VST support and everything else, it doesn't mean that MPT loses it's tracking capabilities or easy user interface or "hobby feeling". So, if MPT can't develop in some aspects, it can develop in others and still maintain all of them.

le_parasite

Quote from: "Dictator"I can't see why would MPT not develop towards "industrial standards". After all, if we get better VST support and everything else, it doesn't mean that MPT loses it's tracking capabilities or easy user interface or "hobby feeling". So, if MPT can't develop in some aspects, it can develop in others and still maintain all of them.
+1 :)
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ