Modplug 24bit support?

Started by KrazyKatz, February 05, 2008, 22:11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

I was reading in the newer features of OMPT .46

Quote32-bit float wav import
24/32-bit PCM wav sample import fixed

Does this mean that OMPT supports 24bit samples?
I know it can export to 24bit, but can I now have .iti instruments with 24 bit samples that wont be reduced to 16bit?

What exactly is "float" import?

Thanks.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

I believe its only for importing samples. They will be reduced to 16 bit, cus the internal audio interface for samples is still 16 bit.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

LPChip is correct: 24/32 bit samples are converted to 16 bit on import.

The 'float import' means wav files which are descripted like:
"32 bit float"
instead of the more common
"Signed 16 bit PCM"

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

I've got to be honest... I wish you were wrong :P. When does it look like OMPT will have 24 bit sample capacity?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

mrvegas

How does the import work?  I have endless Computer Music DVDs with 24-bit samples on them.  Is there any dithering? If so, that would be great.  Also, I am currently using the last stable version -- does that support 24-bit import and conversion to 16?

Thanks.  Great program.  I can't believe this has had as much support as it has.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "mrvegas"How does the import work?
No special actions needed; just load the sample. The conversion is done automatically without notification.

Quote from: "mrvegas"Is there any dithering?
No

Quote from: "mrvegas"Also, I am currently using the last stable version -- does that support 24-bit import and conversion to 16?
The feature has been there since development build 1.17.02.46.

Free Art Test

I have a couple of hard disk recorders, one 16-bit and one 24-bit.  We did a little side-by-side experimenting of vocals and some 808 style drum samples.  The quality drop is phenomenal in 16-bit samples compared to 24-bit, especially on vocals, ride cymbals, anything with reverb...  When we do recording, we always bring the tracks into Cycle of 5th SoundEngine, then into ModPlug, then back to SoundEngine.    I've used ModPlug style trackers since the ProTracker-OctaMed-for-the-Amiga days, and I wouldn't use anything else.  But I would love to be able to maintain that 24-bit range throughout the recording process!  As far as I am concerned, that is ModPlug's only limitation.

Saga Musix

Can you please elaborate on the "phenomenal" quality loss? I think if you have clear and normalized 16-bit samples at the beginning of the production process, they should still sound good afterwards as MPT's mixer works with 32-bit precision. Of course if you use 16-bit samples which have their peak at 1%, you'll get a lot of noise, but not with normalized samples.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KrazyKatz

I agree entirely that there is an undoubtable quality difference between 24bit and 16bit.
If you want to get technical about the differences, than I suggest reading Bob Katz's Mastering Audio. But you need only use your ears to hear the difference. Great quality 16bit mixes sound good. But great quality 24bit mixes sound better.
Nowadays it simply unprofessional to use less than 24bit (and 32bit float is becoming the norm) in recording and mixing. 16bit is history and I would make it a high priority to get OMPT reading 24bit.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Saga Musix

24-Bit is only an artifact as well. If anything, one should go straight to 32-Bit mixing. Either you have really slow 24-Bit mixing routines because 24 bits doesn't align to any of the common word sizes of commercial processors (i.e. 32 Bit and 64 Bit), or you go the other way and just pad 24-Bit samples to 32-Bit samples (which would then align perfectly on 32-Bit and 64-Bit architectures), but that would be a waste of 8 bits.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KrazyKatz

Well in line with the topic, can we look forward to seeing 32 bit sample support anytime in future?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Saga Musix

Sorry, my crystal ball is broken...

KrazyKatz

Smartass. Do I really need to reword it by asking if there are plans to implement it?
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Saga Musix

In other words for you: I don't know about any plans.