[DUPE] VU Meter in pattern tab

Started by Waxhead, February 03, 2008, 19:46:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxhead

As simple as it says... The VU meter only shows in the general tab. As long as you have room for it I personaly think it would be nice to have a "combined" VU meter showing the output in the pattern tab since that makes it easier to track WHERE a song is clipping (and by how much).

Also adding a CLIP indicator for the VU if the volume goes off the scale would be quite cool (and useful) ;)

EDIT: Dupe on issue tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=144

LPChip

There already exists a topic about a clip indicator and you've even posted in it...

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1509.0

For that reason, I'm altering the post to only mention showing VU meters in the pattern tab.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Not much priority here for a clip indicator, but I support a VU meter in the pattern tab.
To me, also if playing a complete module, it's the default tab I want in front, to be able to see what's going on.
And there is room for it.

bvanoudtshoorn

I think there should be more than just an "overall" meter - what you really need is a meter for each (VST) instrument, as well as the overall one. That way, you can get a much better balance. If the volume controls for each instrument/vsti were next to the meter, it'd be even better...

Sam_Zen

An "overall" meter indeed, because in the Pattern tab there's already the option of the simple LED indicators in each channel.

As far as volume controls are concerned. to me so far, they are scattered all over the place.
If even more should be added, it maybe will be more convenient to add an autonome 'Mixer tab'.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: Sam_ZenAn "overall" meter indeed, because in the Pattern tab there's already the option of the simple LED indicators in each channel.

The problem with those VUs, SZ, is that they don't actually show any information about the sample. They only show information about the *playback* of the sample. That is, a very quiet sample played at volume 64 will have the same level on these VUs as a very loud one at 64. Similarly, a loud sample at volume 2 will be the same as a quite sample at 2. (Note: they are affected by volume and panning envelopes).

For people like me, who don't really use samples or instruments that much any more, or who combine them with virtual instruments, these meters are next to useless. That's why I don't have them on.

VUs for each VSTi will have to be shown separately from the channels.

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"There already exists a topic about a clip indicator and you've even posted in it...

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1509.0

For that reason, I'm altering the post to only mention showing VU meters in the pattern tab.
Hmmm thanks - Could not remember that  :lol:

LPChip

Maybe, a temporary solution is to use a VST that shows a VU Meter? Like Inspector. Put it in an FX slot, and check master and you can see what the VU usage is for your entire song.

One thing though, if you use RC3 mixmode, set the global volume to 64, cus otherwise it will not be accurate. Its funny, but setting the global volume to 0 will still give normal VU outage on the VST plugin, but there's no sound.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

I can always use a plugin but then again it's a plugin - As Sam_zen have shown there is plenty of room for it and also the code seems to be there. I think this could probably have been done with minimal effort but hey... I might be wrong ;)

Sam_Zen

2 BvO
If one is mainly working with VSTs, I can imagine that there's not much need for an option like this.
Then, a monitor for each plugin is probably more convenient.
So the topic becomes more rhetorical, but the item can remain : would this be a useful, logical addition?

2 Waxhead
I'm used to be very cautious in judging if a request or suggestion of mine would be an easy task or not.
Because I know programming a bit. One could make the application in two days, but get stuck for three weeks on one tiny subroutine.

Waxhead

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
2 Waxhead
I'm used to be very cautious in judging if a request or suggestion of mine would be an easy task or not.
Because I know programming a bit. One could make the application in two days, but get stuck for three weeks on one tiny subroutine.

Yeah I know - I'm a programmer myself. I never had a proper look at the OpenMPT sourcecode but I assume that the VU-Meter is not "integrated" to much in the GUI code and therefore I assume that it's almost as easy as calling a subroutine another place. Of course this might be where I'm wrong and you are right  :lol:

Sam_Zen

Quoteit's almost as easy as calling a subroutine another place
In this case I agree in the assumption, that's why I made the example.