[EP] Personal Diaries of an Arrant Space Cowboy

Started by Louigi Verona, January 21, 2008, 08:24:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Tracklist:
1. Catching Flies While Watching Intergalaxy Police Chase Smugglers on the Promenade of a Private Space Station
2. A Mysterious Omega Entity Which Crossed the Galaxy in a Matter of Precisely 15 Seconds
3. Chasing Photons
4. Asteroids
5. Observing a Triple Quantum Singularity When Suddenly Being Attacked By a Small Group of Arrant Space Pirates
6. 12000 Identical Androids Walking Around A Submolecular Power Rod
7. The Omega Entity

All tracks are part of events which in short were these: our hero was relaxing on a private space station when suddenly sensors on his spaceship detected a mysterious Omega Entity. It crossed the galaxy so fast that it intrigued the arrant explorer and he decided to follow it and investigate. He was cruising swiftly, but his way was blocked by an asteroid region. As he cleared it, a group of pirates attacked his vessel. After a short victorious battle our hero landed on a class D planet for repairs and there discovered a queer android colony. Finally, he reached the coordinates of the Omega Entity and had a chance to observe a unique phenomena. Leaving it he felt that many of his questions were left unanswered...
But that's in short. To get to know more about this little adventure listen to the music!

Concept: short tunes, preferably less than 3 minutes, all based on simple chord patterns
Inspiration: Star Trek Voyager
All vocal samples except track 1 are from ST Voyager (which pretty much guarantees that this EP is very unlikely to be published officially). Everything is written and arranged by Louigi Verona.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm. My ISP doesn't seem to like your server, Lougi - it can never find it. :) I tried for the Novus Compo, and had to download the track from TiS to get it... Maybe it's 'cos I'm down in Australia. ;)

Louigi Verona

Sam_Zen

No problem downloading from velvic.com.
Not yet heard, but I noticed a difference in numbering of the cowboy files with the posted list.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"No problem downloading from velvic.com.
Not yet heard, but I noticed a difference in numbering of the cowboy files with the posted list.

Yep, the ordering shows which tunes I started when. But the order of the album is different. )

Sam_Zen

Very pleasant and cool electronic sounds and arrangement of structures.
'Catching Files..' has a nice buildup from minimal sequencing.
As a whole a nice order of excited and relaxed tracks.
So far '12000 Identical..' is my favorite.

One question unanswered is : -where's cowboy 4 ? Is he hiding in a black hole ? :)

KrazyKatz

Its good to see you pop up again Mr. Verona.

What an outstanding little EP you've made. First class performance!
Particularly like the way you implemented the voice-overs.

Outstanding mix, and master but may be a little "thump" light in my opinion.

Sounds like an album well inspired and made with love.

I was wandering if you made the story-line before or after you composed this?
As Sam Zen has pointed out, there is a little bit of a track mix up & a missing piece. Better double check on that.

Awesome stuff! I'll be playing this one for the road in my car... when I get a car that is :P
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Louigi Verona

My mixing skills are very poor and I am not planning to go into sound engineering stuff. Maybe one day I'll get lucky and someone interested in sound engineering would team up with me to master my tunes (as it happens in many electronic projects) or I'll just become better by slow experience.

As for cowboy 4 - it just never appeared. All the tunes are there. Maybe I should've renamed the files in the album order after I made them, but I didn't think it was important. I shall do this but not now, since I'll have to correct all the URLs in all the messages I left on several sites and i am lazy to do that )

The general story was made up beforehand, details came in later. The basic idea was the guy noticing a weird entity, following it and eventually finding it.

KrazyKatz

Well you're wrong about your mixing skills. They're certainly not poor. They're Excellent! You just don't know it :) Still loving it. Cheers!
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Sam_Zen

I agree with KrazyKat, you've got the feel, no important need for external sound engineering afterwards.

As for track Cowboy 4, it was just retorical. I fully understand the hassle of renaming files in all the relevant URLs.
Considering if it's worth it. In this case I don't care, because I made a .PLS playlist file in the right order.
It was more my assumption : was there a track 4 initially, but was it skipped from the list at the end. Obviously not.

Talking about URL, it's a pity that I can't point on my links page to a basic address with your work.

Louigi Verona

I think I'll put it out somewhere then, make a page or smth

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, I'm busy downloading it from TiS at the mo, but it's very annoying having to use such a limited connection speed. :)

Louigi Verona

Thx for going through all that trouble - hope you'll find the EP worth it!

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Thx for going through all that trouble - hope you'll find the EP worth it!

It's great! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. I like the fact that all of the tracks are "connected", not only by the story, but also in style. Good stuff!

KrazyKatz

I was playing this on my mp3 player, and I've got to say that it doesn't translate well over small headphones. It's way too top heavy in certain areas, and really lacks punch in the bass.
If you'd like to send me the original un-mastered mixdowns, I could Re-Master them for you on the house ;) I'm actually hoping you will, since I really love these pieces and they truly deserve a good sound over all mediums :)
Sonic Brilliance Studios