.49 VST glitches (esp. JS series)

Started by Saga Musix, January 19, 2008, 18:44:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I think I mentioned this issue before, but I never got a real reply, so...

I have this problem with several modules, it seems to depend on the VST order and the VSTs that are used. What's going wrong here?
original IT file
that's what it sounds like (ask me if you still need the files to examine!)
i get this noise everytime i open the module and also when exporting it. with other modules, i also may get a simple "pop" in the beginning which will be reverbed (FREEVERB vst). it won't appear if you stop the song and restart it. pretty annoying when you're converting your modules...
so who's the culprit? is it the VSTs? is it modplug? probably MPT is not cleaning the wave buffer...

Edit: Closed, as it only happens with bad plugins, not bothering to fix it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... Two suggestions. First, try sticking a bar or so of nothingness (an empty 32-row pattern) at the start of your track, to give MPT a chance to clear the buffer. This is what I do. If that doesn't work, try putting together the chain in something like Xlutop Chainer, and see if it produces the same problem. If it does, it'll probably be a VST problem; if it doesn't, MPT's at fault.

Hope this helps!

Saga Musix

Yeah, if I have this problem and want to release a track, I normally add an empty pattern in the beginning, but not while editing. I also don't have a chainer and Xlutop costs money, doesn't it?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, it costs money, but there's a demo version that you can try...

Saga Musix

okay i downloaded the demo but i have no clue how to use that chainer :oops: can you explain me how to insert the VST files?
EDIT: ah, got it, had to move the VST files into the chainer's dir.

EDIT 2: No noise with the Chainer :nuts: So it seems to be a problem with modplug...

bvanoudtshoorn

OK. I guess that means that it'll have to be moved to the bug reports. :)

LPChip

Moved it to bug reports.

I didn't know what version you tried, so I assumed .49. Can you verify this?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

jep, i'm using .49, but this error happened in every version of OpenMPT i used so far, rather randomly.

anboi

i have had similar errors, very hard to pin down audio glitches that seem to arise randomly when using particular vstis. sometimes one big click then silence after pressing play when a combination of tracks are open in mpt at once, other times i've had static bursts rather than silence after the click. both cases will do the click and silence or static when play is pressed again repeatedly but both are only fixed by closing modplug and reopening. i really can't seem to reproduce either of these consistently but i'm fairly sure it's a combination of tracks that have to be open at once and a certain set of vstis too. i know roughly which tracks of mine will cause it to happen the most but not which combination of tracks or of vstis is specifically doing it. there's a free vsti i used ages ago that used to do it a lot, will try to find the name and try it in a new build to see if i can get a decent way to reproduce.

aGIANTpupafish

yeah i've had stuff like anboi, mainly when there's a track with lots of VST and/or VSTi plugins.

to my recollection particulary with stardust compressor.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Saga Musix

it happened mostly with the JS plugins here, i think. when i just use freeverb + mda, it went fine, i think. however, i have to check this first...  :)