Midi Playback in ModPlug Tracker

Started by Wodd, December 18, 2005, 04:34:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodd

<html>
<body>
<p>That is weird. When I try to play a midi file in ModPlug Tracker, I get no audio. Why could that be? I thought ModPlug Tracker supported the .mid file extention, but maybe it doesn't.</p>
</body>
</html>

DavidN

I think Modplug does that when it's not pointed at the right MIDI library. Unfortunately I can't remember offhand how to correct it - check the libraries on the left, and the setup window.

LPChip

First you need to load a soundfont bank (.dls or .sf2) (they can't be multilayered)

Choose File->Add soundfont bank. You should have a gm.dls in your windows directory. Once that has been added, import the midi file. It should play now.

NOTE: adding the soundfont bank AFTER midi import won't work for that midi song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

Nope, it still does not play. It "plays," but no audio comes out. In fact, the channels' VU meters do not even display.

LPChip

It has to be that you're doing something wrong, cus it works here.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

Is the file in the wrong Windows directory? It is in the one in D:, not C:.

LPChip

it doesn't really matter where the file is, as long as its name is GM.DLS and ofcource is a valid file.

First add the library to MPT, THEN load in the midi.

Once you've added the library, you should be able to play its sounds using the left treeview. If it doesn't work there, then the library isn't valid.

Really Weird Person

It works now. I did Import Midi Library and imported the GM.DLS file.