(!)Website can become unavailable or not working properly

Started by LPChip, January 14, 2008, 18:47:16

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Dear members of the MODPlug Central Forums.

As you might know (or not), php version 4 has died since 1st of Januari 2008. This means that there won't be any upcoming version nor will there be any support for this version.

My hosting has contacted me that they'll be upgrading my server so I can switch it to php version 5.

Since I'm running this forum which was build for php4, I am not sure if it will transfer without problems. I fear it might not, but I have a trick behind my sleeves. I can use the php.ini to set it to php4 compatibility. Hopefully that will mean that there won't be any problems.

If anything goes bad, I will restore the website back to php4 untill I can find an alternate solution.

I'm also aware that there's a php5 version of phpBB. I might try it out to see if switching to it is a solution.

I can't say when all this is going to happen, because I'm still waiting for my hostingcompany to upgrade my server. Once it is ready, I will make a post here, but since you might not be able to read it, this is a message in advance.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Cross your fingers and say a prayer fer the ol' forum...
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

The forum won't be harmed in unrepairable state. It might just be a bumpy ride. Thats all...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

LPChip

Okay, today I got a strange MySQL error on my clansite. Since it was unexpected and weird at the same time, (4 nearly identical queries and only 2 reporting an error) I went checking out.

It seemed that my website was converted with the option to switch to php5. Appearantly, this forum was running fine WHILE on php5 mode. :)

I managed to find the error on my clansite and after I repaired that one, it seems that the phpBB forumsoftware is php5 compatible. :)

I therefor set the server to php5. Could you be finding strange and unwanted errors on some of the pages, feel free to post them here so I can fix them. :)

Sam_Zen

One delayed report :
On jan 22 I couldn't have access to the forum from about 01:00 to 06:30. Some SQL error message.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"One delayed report :
On jan 22 I couldn't have access to the forum from about 01:00 to 06:30. Some SQL error message.

Yes, we've all got that one. It was a different issue though.