Looking for atmospherics...

Started by Harbinger, December 13, 2007, 18:24:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Does anyone know where there is a library of morphing synth sounds? A lot of my music relies on synth pads that shift slowly over time, usually in filter but also in waveform. Korg put out a synth rack module about a decade ago called the Z-Morph or something like that, which focused on exactly that: time-based sound shifting within the sample or waveform.
Anyone have any ideas? I'm looking for all kinds of atmospherics, from ethereal to metallic to seismic....

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... You could take a look at some VSTis to do that. A lot of them can morph the sounds with LFOs. If you do need them in samples, you could throw the VSTis into Xlutop Chainer, and then dump them to samples from there (one of its great features!).

Saga Musix

if you have a DOS system available (or DOSBox), you could try Sound Designer 2. (unfortunately, i can't find it anymore on the web and my webspace is having some problems, so i'm going to upload it later).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

that's okay, no VSTi's...i'm not interested in wasting time setting up envelopes and such, just samples.

Anyone else?

Saga Musix

Although i guess Envelopes may be an easier solution (as you have to work with them in SD2 aswell), here's the promised download:
(ask me if you want to have the DL link again)
be sure to have alook at the example sounds and run DEMO.BAT to create dozens of example wav files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Before i download anything, please tell me what this is supposed to be. And does it address my original problem: quick morphing pads without any sound building? (I can always apply VSTeffects if i need something original.) The object here is not to do any sound construction...

Saga Musix

Sound Designer 2 can, as said, be used to create own pad sounds via additive synthesis. you can create pads with filters, flangers, different base sounds etc.

Harbinger

That's okay, thanks, i have other software that will do the job. What i'm trying to do is cut the time it takes to build sounds, by using pre-existing samples and quickly massaging them with VSTs.

Anyone else?

bvanoudtshoorn

Here's a site with a whole lot of links to free Kontakt libraries. Although they're for Kontakt, many of the sites also offer them for other samplers, and I think that most of the samples themselves should be in a usable format: http://rekkerd.org/freebies-for-native-instruments-kontakt/

Warning: Some of these files are BIG.

Harbinger