[DUPE] Templates

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, January 02, 2008, 09:33:30

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

It'd be great if you could have module templates, including things like VSTs, instruments, etc; maybe even pattern data! The only thing that would be different about them would be that they wouldn't have a filename associated with them when you open them, and they'd have a nice way to get at them (for example, a "Templates" submenu on the File menu)...

See related issue on issue tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=112

LPChip

I vote for this one.

In fact, in the past I've asked for this feature, and Rewbs said to me:

Just make a new file, change the things you want to set as default, save it as template.it then make it read only.

I rather also see an option to do file->new using template->Some Template.

I guess it could be made that inside the OpenMPT folder there's a new folder called Templates. All modules inside there will be added to a list which will be opened from the new menu, and then called module1 so that it'll trigger the save as... when you hit save.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

le_parasite

L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

aGIANTpupafish

i gather this is something similar to this: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1914.0

but anyway: +1
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

LPChip

Not entirelly, cus the post you've linked to goes about memory state, where this goes to a file outside OpenMPT which can be loaded at any given time. Like a preset.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Support +++

A 'Templates' subdir is a nice idea.
If so, it should be added as an option in the Setup/General tab to the Songs etc. Directories.

I used such special files a couple of times from an existing module I made, because I wanted
to make a second composition with the same 'ensemble'. To make a 'repertoire'.
So I removed the content of the pattern row. to start all over again.

Same vice versa. Composition of the patterns stays intact, but instruments removed. To make a 'cover'.

I preferred to keep the association with the source-module, as a hint for the nature of the setting,
when saving, so I called the 'dummy' module 'filename'_0.

The main tool to make a template from an existing module will be the Edit/Cleanup dialog.
For this purpose an option is lacking here : Remove All Patterns.
There is the option Remove All Instruments. I checked and then all Instrument settings are gone as well.
I can imagine a situation, where these values should have been preserved, just as it is done in the Sample tab.

vedus

Adding a + here.
I use MPT primarily as my drum machine since the majority of my other tracks are recorded live. I always use the same kit set up. I've got a default empty mod that I have but a template would be much nicer. I've got some other projects coming up and need to use other setups. Four or five templates would make my life easier and smoother.