Starting a New one

Started by Sam_Zen, January 05, 2008, 04:35:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I would like to see the dialogs concerning the 'New' function a bit more consistent.

From the pulldown menu 'File/New' it tells 'as Ctrl+N', but the result is not the same.
'File/New' offers a format-choice in a dialog : IT - XM - S3M - MOD - IT Project - MPTM.
The MOD starts with 8, the other formats with 32 channels.

But if one does 'Ctrl+N', or click on the New button (Create a new document) this dialog is skipped,
and the empty file will be a default IT one with 32 channels.

Saga Musix

well, i think that this is on purpose because standard mods had only 4 channels, later extensions also allowed 8 channels and even later extensions even more. So I guess that 8channels is a good choice here. And i also don't want to see a dialoge when clicking "new" or pressing ctrl+n since i always use the IT format. however, it would be useful to set a default file format (f.e. a chiptune compose probably wants to create only MOD files). here begins the discussion of templates again... :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

The 8 channels of MOD was just a notation, not a complaint.
And I agree about the default IT format, but it would be nice if the choice in the 'File/New' would be saved as default.
I think there's a difference between 'new' and a template, because the template already has a predefined format.