The barryvan compo: Now open!

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, December 27, 2007, 12:13:18

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

The inaugural round of the barryvan compo is now open. (BTW, if you can think of a better name, I'm listening!)

What is the barryvan compo?
It's a is a six-times-yearly competition in which artists compete to produce a piece based on a given "inspiration". Contestants can enter songs in MP3, OGG, or WMA formats. You've got until February 1st to write a piece of music based on the inspiration that's on the front page.

What's the inspiration?
For this first round, I've chosen Edward Lear's poem "The Jumblies". It should have plenty in it for inspiration.

What's the motivation?
Fun and/or profit. No prizes, but bragging rights...

How do I enter?
Simply head over to the website! Alternatively, you can access it through www.barryvan.com.au.

maleek

I like the idea to base a compo around a poem. I don't think I've heard anything quite like it. :)

aGIANTpupafish

so it's every two months, not every 6 years right?  :?
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

bvanoudtshoorn

Yes. Sorry! I've fixed up the text on the front page of the compo site, so it now says "six-times-yearly". =D

aGIANTpupafish

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

bvanoudtshoorn

The deadline is the 1st of February, 2008. I'll go and make that more obvious on the front page of the compo site. =D Can I hope to see something from you?

aGIANTpupafish

yes indeed-y.  (i've done 1 whole pattern already!)

i love compos, it's nice to have something to work towards

bvanoudtshoorn

Excellent!  :D I look forward to it.

Novus

I look forward to it as well. You'll certainly have me as a voter.
And no, I'm not back, whatever the hell "back" means. :)
novusmusic.org

bvanoudtshoorn

Nahkranoth

Cool! You have another participant then! :twisted:
Already got some ideas, finally there's an opportunity to TRACK THEM UP :)

bvanoudtshoorn

Great! I look forward to hearing your entry, Nahkranoth!

bvanoudtshoorn

There are now only three days before entries close for the inaugural round of the barryvan compo! Remember, the theme for this round is Edward Lear's nonsense poem "The Jumblies". Get your entries in by midnight on the 31st of January!

bvanoudtshoorn

Only one day to go! Come on, I've only got one entry so far... Please! :)

Nahkranoth

I can't finish this damn track in time!!! ARGH!!!
Already got half of it, but I will not make it before the deadline :evil:
Sorry barryvan, my bad. Should have started 2 weeks earlier :(
But thanks for the inspiration anyway. I had not have one for nearly a year :wink:
-=-=-
Forgive me my bad English