Started by BooT-SectoR-ViruZ, February 01, 2008, 22:15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.50

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s):
new feature ==> ofcause not

Description of the bug:
when using midi-mapping the modwheel of the midi-controller will affect all vst (channel doesn't matter) that are mapped to some controllers midi-messages

How often does it happen?:
always

How to reproduce (step by step description):
create a module, load some vsti, connect any plugin parameter to some fader/knob on you midi-controller, use the modwheel while playing that instrument (instrument/pattern tab)
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Relabsoluness

I can't reproduce the bug. Is the behavior as if the MIDI mapping list is processed wrongly or something else? And also, do you have "Send MIDI to active instrument plugin" enabled from setup->MIDI? If it is, try disabling it - that setting does not need to be enabled in order to use the MIDI mapping.

Saga Musix

It indeed does not seem to happen in pattern mode, but rather if you control the plugin directly from your midi controller (e.g. having the plugin window open).
testcase
When i turn the "cutoff" knob on my CS1x, it should affect the volume of the VL1 synth. it will do so in the pattern view and the modwhel does not do anything with both plugings. if i switch to the instruments tab, i can use the modwheel to change the cutoff of the GalactiX vsti!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I can't reproduce the bug. Is the behavior as if the MIDI mapping list is processed wrongly or something else? And also, do you have "Send MIDI to active instrument plugin" enabled from setup->MIDI? If it is, try disabling it - that setting does not need to be enabled in order to use the MIDI mapping.

as jojo said it only happens when the plugin window is active or you are in the instrument tab.
"send midi to activate" is disabled and doesn't have any effect on this.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"When i turn the "cutoff" knob on my CS1x, it should affect the volume of the VL1 synth. it will do so in the pattern view and the modwhel does not do anything with both plugings. if i switch to the instruments tab, i can use the modwheel to change the cutoff of the GalactiX vsti!
If you have "Send MIDI to active instrument plugin"-option enabled, this is probably exactly what is supposed to happen. Modulationwheel MIDI message is passed to the plug(without MIDI mapping, that's not a bug (though it's experimental)), and apparently it implements it as cutoff. Similarly "91 EffectsLevel" and "7 Volume" could be used to control Chorus and Gain, and it worked even in pattern tab when the instrument chosen in "Main instrument" was the one with GalactiX as plug.

Saga Musix

disabling this function actually seems to fix the problem here. btw: those new checkboxes won't make the "apply" button accesible, i'm only able to press "OK" in the settings dialog.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

i will repeat: "send midi to activate" is unchecked in my case
and the modwheel will still affect ALL assigned parameters of ANY plugin that's listed in midi-mapping
(though it seems to be sort of random which it will affect and when)
also it happens in both instrument- and pattern-tab

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"i will repeat: "send midi to activate" is unchecked in my case
and the modwheel will still affect ALL assigned parameters of ANY plugin that's listed in midi-mapping
(though it seems to be sort of random which it will affect and when)
also it happens in both instrument- and pattern-tab
These 'can't reproduce'-bugs are so jovial. Without better ideas, trying desperate guess: could it be that in some cases the modwheel sends other messages than modwheel? Something like previous controller changed? Of course the mapping can be buggy as well, but I just haven't been able to detect problems with it so far.

Saga Musix

In this case, you (BSV) should try SendSX to look which sysex messages your device sends when turning the wheel...

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

if someone cares:
http://breakcorezecke.de/e-mu%20xboard49%20modwheel.txt

that's what sendSX tells me for my modwheels midi-in

Saga Musix

this is quite strange, since my modwheel always sends commands beginning with "B0 01"... Relabsoluness, you  could try it yourself, too... :P

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"if someone cares:
http://breakcorezecke.de/e-mu%20xboard49%20modwheel.txt

that's what sendSX tells me for my modwheels midi-in
That's the pitch bend message on channel 1. And yes, mapping is buggy. Sigh, pretty much any non-controller message such as pitch bend or even note may trigger a 'random' MIDI mapping item.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

works perfectly with .51
thx guys  :D