[Zen rock] Mushotoku (OGG)

Started by rncekel, December 07, 2007, 15:46:49

Previous topic - Next topic

rncekel

Mushotoku in japanese means "aimless", and is one of the principles of Zen meditation. This song was composed in this way, without trying, only working on it when the song comes to me. So, no wonder it took me 3 years to finished it. The voice, unfortunately, it's mine; these are the lyrics (in order of appereance, all sung backwards):
Om mane pudme hum
Alla akhbar
Kyrie eleison

ftp://ftp.scenesp.org/pub/modulez/rncekel/mushotok.zip

LPChip

I notice that those lyrics are hewbrew (or jewish?). Do you happen to know what they mean?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Not all Jewish! Kyrie eleison is a traditional Latin text for a mass, and means "Lord have mercy".

Sam_Zen

Alla akhbar is Arabic and means 'god is great'.
Om mane pudme hum is a Buddhist mantra, meaning 'even a beautiful lotusflower can blossom from out of the mud'

Anyway. The song.

I enjoyed the strong changes at 1:00 and 2:00, and I tasted a bit of a spanish root there..

I'm a fan of backward vocals, but I doubt that you literally mean 'sung backwards'.
I suppose you mean : sung the text, and reversed the playback.

Try writing the text backwards, like "muh emdup enam mo", sing and record it, then reverse the playback.
One will notice quite a difference in pronunciation.

3 years.. Were you in a hurry ? :)

tvdude

I like the blending of traditional instruments with the electronic ones.  This is a great piece.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

rncekel

To Sam Zen:
Well, I really meant that. In fact, I knew how it must sound, so I record it humming, then hear it on reverse, put the lyrics to this reversed melody and recorded it, and finally reproduced it on reverse...

Sam_Zen

Great..
So you practised what I call 'electronic solfège'. Pre-hearing things according to the possibilities in this discipline.