[DECLINED] Tabs

Started by Really Weird Person, October 10, 2007, 00:00:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

Here is an idea that I thought of that I cannot recall having posted before. A tab feature should be added! It could be like this. Instead of having to open multiple instances of Modplug Tracker, you can open songs in their own individual tabs! You would use Control-Tab to switch forward one tab (song) and Control-Shift-Tab to switch backward. You would then have to likely change the current Control-Tab shortcut to Control-Alt-Tab since Control-Tab, Alt-Tab (by Windows), and Control-Shift-Tab would already be used! In addition, when a second song is opened, it should open in a new tab!

bvanoudtshoorn

Um... You know that you can open lots of windows in one MPT? And that pressing [Ctrl]+[F6] jumps to the next window?

Really Weird Person

Yep, I did know that. I am not sure why, but I feel that tabs would be more efficient than that even. Perhaps because Control and Tab are right above each other (give or take a row or two of space), but Control and F6 are not as close together. Perhaps my logic is faulty with this request. It seemed like a good idea when I initially posted it.

LPChip

Then change the keys in the config manager.

Sorry but this sounds like a fasion feature, and not one that really is required.

I'm going to deny the feature request. If one of the programmers do feel about adding it, feel free to open the request.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Really Weird Person

That is true. I could change the key combination. I did not think of that.

älskling

I think tabs for songs would be a good idea.

Sam_Zen

Support ++ (?)
But maybe I have a confusion about 'tabs' and 'tags'.

MPT can open multiple files, and I know there are shortcut options for choosing the song. So that's settled.

But I would support a better visual navigation by using a tag (like in a song with 'General', 'Samples' etc) for each opened song. ( I have to add, that in my case the 'tree view' always is disabled, because I want max working space).

Now, one can have multiple song-windows, either minimized, maximized, or cascading, etc.
If maximized, other loaded songs are completely covered. If cascaded, the window is much smaller than the working area.

Really Weird Person

What does .618033988 represent?

aGIANTpupafish

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"What does .618033988 represent?

Offtopic Post:

http://jamesthornton.com/theory/

Golden Ratio
The proportion which results when a line segment is divided in such a way that the smaller is to the larger as the larger is to the whole. Numerically, it is:

G = (Square Root5 - 1) / 2 = 0.618033988...

The inverse of this number:

phi = (Square Root5 + 1) / 2 = 1 + G = 1.618033988...

is sometimes also referred to as the golden ratio (also called Golden mean or Divine proportion).

A golden rectangle has the property that the ratio of the difference of the sides to the smaller equals the difference of the sides to the larger; in classical aesthetic theory, this was considered pleasing to the eye.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Sam_Zen

OT:
Thanks aGIANTpupafish. I didn't know the G as variable.
Yep, since centuries ago, painters have used this rectangle proportion for the canvas.
And the Dutch electronic composer Jan Boerman used the golden ratio in his work as a base-element.

This is also related to the so called Fibonacci progression : each next number is the sum of the two previous ones. So:
0-1-1-2-3-5-8-13-21-34-55-89-144 etcetera
Then, on some position in the row, one can take two neighbouring numbers, and divide the higher by the lower number.
Or vice versa. The bigger the numbers, the closer the result of the division will have : .618033988..