Instrument post-/pre-delay

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, December 04, 2007, 11:21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

It'd be really useful if there was the option to set a global pre- or post-delay for an instrument which would apply across the track. For example, if you set it to -1.00, it would send note signals 1.00 rows before the note actually appears. This'd make it a lot easier to deal with instruments (like some strings at low volumes) which have a longer attack than I'd like (but which is recorded into the samples!).

LPChip

I've requested something similar earlier.

My idea was to set a point in the sample, and make it so that if that note is being played, it will calculate when to start the note based upon that location, so it triggers that location at the moment of the note itself.

I'm not entirelly sure why Rewbs didn't wanted to do it back then anymore...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Indeed a nice feature, but this may need a lot of calcuation. If you have (exaggeration) 10 patterns which are 2 lines long and you set the instrument's "pre-delay" to -16, how the hell should this work?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

At least a post-delay can be achieved with :
Set Sample Offset (MOD/XM: 9xx, S3M/IT: Oxx)
Or do I miss the point here ?

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"At least a post-delay can be achieved with :
Set Sample Offset (MOD/XM: 9xx, S3M/IT: Oxx)
Or do I miss the point here ?

Slightly...

He refers to global, meaning that you could set it outside the pattern area.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

bvanoudtshoorn

I'd also prefer if it wasn't fiddling with samples, 'cos then you could use it with VSTis, too.

Nahkranoth

Sorry dor digging this old zombie, but while searching the topic about plugin delay compensation I've found this.
I agree with bv, it would help a lot for some instruments with long attack, but it will help even more to fight some plugin's delay.
I've been demoing some VSTs which add an awful lot of delay when processing, and the result is unlistenable. So I'm guessing this feature would be a nice addition.
Still hoping the normal delay compensation will be realized some time.

Saga Musix

Due to the way patterns are processed, I doubt that a pre-delay is possible without much rewriting. However, PDC might be a possible option in the future, and I think Xaimus actually wanted to look into it and maybe provide a patch.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Jojo"However, PDC might be a possible option in the near future, and I think Xaimus actually wanted to look into it and maybe provide a patch.
You forgot the word "near" :D
Anyways, w00t w00t w00t!!!1

Saga Musix