Differently colored instrument strips

Started by unfa, August 17, 2009, 16:10:00

Previous topic - Next topic

unfa

Hi everyone!

I think it could be a nice feature for improoving speed of work. Here how should it work:

- each created instrument (or sample if no istruments are used) gets a random color identification. It is displayed as a coloured rectangle next to instrument name edit box. Clicking on it with left mouse button opens a color selection dialog, where user can set the requested color. Right-clicking instantly changes color to new randomly generated one.
- in pattern view, a default background color is used everywhere, where no note is played. But each instrument cell's background (maybe note cell's too) until a ^^ or == is used has a current instrument color instead of default defined in color sheme.
-an additional feature would allow user to set genarated color's desired saturation and brightness (hue is random). An additional frame in Colors tab in Setup window. There is some room left :)

No more reading this tiny instrument number, you just SEE which instrument plays here!

Here is how I see it working:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dndyjjmlhcz
my music Right now. I'am working with OpenMPT on Ubuntu. Just a bit harder... but still possible and I'am happy about this :)

LB

This sounds like a great idea, if used correctly! *adds 1 point to the vote counter*
Don't feed the bunnies. They will bring thier friends next time.

~MMF2 Developer user~
[color=green]LB-Stuff[/color] - My Website

Waxhead

If someone does this please make it optional!

LPChip

I wonder if it is actually possible with the current pattern editor.

I know that it uses bitmaps for fonts instead of a simple textscreen, but ofcource I can still see a way to get colour there, as its already possible. The from note to note colouring seems to be hard though... What if you don't enter a note-off or note-cut? Will it create an endless note?

Or how about having several notes behind eachother with only one note-off, but the others still sound?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

especially BECAUSE the pattern is based on a bitmap, it should be easy to use different background or foreground colours. Believe me, there aren't really any technical issues - It's more like motivation that's lacking. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LB

Quote from: "LPChip"I wonder if it is actually possible with the current pattern editor.

I know that it uses bitmaps for fonts instead of a simple textscreen, but ofcource I can still see a way to get colour there, as its already possible. The from note to note colouring seems to be hard though... What if you don't enter a note-off or note-cut? Will it create an endless note?

Or how about having several notes behind eachother with only one note-off, but the others still sound?

Well, maybe it could calculate the sample/instrument length based on the info it has to detirmine how long to make it. Just a guess, don't know how easy that'd be.
Don't feed the bunnies. They will bring thier friends next time.

~MMF2 Developer user~
[color=green]LB-Stuff[/color] - My Website