Tree View enhancements

Started by Skaven, September 11, 2008, 04:52:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven

I dunno about you guys, but I do use the Tree View in ModPlug tracker, I find it handy. :)

Here are some suggestions that would make it even more useful:
  • Grey out the names of Muted instruments
  • Visually indicate when an instrument/sample is playing (display something in the icon, like a note or a "play" triangle).
  • Show currently selected instrument/sample in Bold
Anything else? Keep them coming. :)

EDIT: Changed status to Confirmed

Sam_Zen

I don't use the tree view myself, but these seem reasonable improvements.

LPChip

Nice suggestions, although I fear that 1 and 3 will be quite difficult. I expect that it would require a new treeview control capable of changing the font of a single row instead of all.

But then again, I do have programming experience, but never worked on the OpenMPT source. So I dunno if such control was used here too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Skaven

Quote from: "LPChip"Nice suggestions, although I fear that 1 and 3 will be quite difficult. I expect that it would require a new treeview control capable of changing the font of a single row instead of all.
If greying out the font is difficult, the muting could also be indicated in the icon (by, like, greying it out or with an icon with a red "X" over it)?

3 isn't an absolute must either, because if you select an instrument by clicking on it in the tree view, it gets highlighted anyway. Could at least make it so that if the instrument list is open in the tree view, the highlighting could be updated in it if the user changes the instrument thru the drop down menu, or by pressing Enter on a note in the pattern editor.

Saga Musix

Hm... Whereas 1 and 3 are perfectly doable (the currently playing sequence item and pattern are already indicated by bold print, LPChip, so it's perfectly possible - if you're referring to the treeview control in VB, well, that's VB - 100% limited), I'm not sure if the 2nd would result in a waste of resources or slowdown of the whole program. This was no problem in textmode in ScreamTracker (;)), but I don't know if the windows controls can be updated as fast as a text screen, and more importantly, I don't know if this would slowdown the mixing routines (which are in a completely separate part of the program and they are needed to be polled for sample status I think).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I definitely think the Folder Tree could use more functionality.

Saga Musix

Ok, muted instruments/samples are now shown with a grey icon, and look at those green triangles... 8)  Still thinking of a keen way to do #3... :) (bold font is not the problem - telling the treeview about the current sample/instr is)

Saga Musix

Most stuff here has been implemented; Please confirm that this has been added as wished in OpenMPT 1.18 release candidate. You can set the thread status to S=C yourself then.

Skaven

Confirmed. The new visual enhancements work great. :)