Ripping pattern data from an improperly saved mod?

Started by sg_06, November 28, 2007, 01:56:21

Previous topic - Next topic

sg_06

I'm a bit defeated...

I tend to run ModPlug (Open, 1.17RC2) from my Jumpdrive...and sometimes, saving can be slow.
There have been times where the computer I'm using simply freezes.

This has happened twice now. The first time wasn't much of a loss, but I rather liked what I was making today. Most of it saved, but the last few samples and all the data past that: cut off/non-existant.

The result is an .it file with four blank channels, a blank list of samples, and no instruments.

I believe that the pattern data comes before the samples in .it files...and if this is the case, I should be able to rip it, right?

I've been trying for the past three hours: no success. Does anyone know a way to get anything (other than the samples that were saved) from the file?

[Link to the file]
[diagram]

thanks
[insert something interesting here]

Sam_Zen

I can confirm four blank channels, a blank list of samples, and no instruments, when opening with OMPT.
The only thing shown is the 'comments' section. But I think you're right about the file still having some data aboard.

If I save the same file again with ModPLug, it becomes the actual situation, so a file of ~ 7KB.

I compared "reability.it" with a regular IT-file on an ascii-base.
The header of the file is still ok : "IMPM" plus the title, in this case "untitled".
But at the end of "reability.it" the trailing codes are missing, containing the recognizable strings :
"STPM..TD - BPR - .MPR - ...C - ..MT - .MMP - .VWC - VWSL E - .APS d - VTSV d - .VGD - ..PR"

At second investigation the tail appears to be bigger, starting with "XTPM..RV"
But adding this to the file didn't help.

In this situation to recover the data, it's important to have an exact description of the IT structure.

I already have this for the XM and the S3M format, so I like to call people to point me in the right direction for this data about the IT format.

sg_06

In retrospect, I probably should have included this with the first .zip file...

[ITTECH.txt]

That came with Impulse tracker...
I tried using that to probe, maybe remove pointers to the missing data or something...but I think that ModPlug added enough to make it somewhat invalid.

...or (also quite possible) I was just being retarded and unable to follow the guide.
[insert something interesting here]

LPChip

You could try making a new module, save as .it, then edit both files with a hex editor, and type/copy the info you have over the current content. Or perhaps insert it. I dunno...

But as it sounds, I doubt that you'll get much out of it. If you want to hear how much of the samples are still in tact, then drag the .IT file into the sample window. It will ask for a conversion, but it should allow you to get one sample with some noise (header) and then the samples in a row. That way you can see if its worth putting in more effort.

To counteract this, I'd suggest moving to the latest build (heck, I always say that to people using older versions, but in this case, your version really is outdated) We are now at .48, where RC2 = .28. Alot has been changed since.

You might also want to enable auto-save, so you'll get a backup every once in a while.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

@ sg_06
Thanks for the txt-file. Very nice information.

I opened the IT-file as RAW in my wav-editor. You can find the result here :

http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/mpf/reability.zip

I made a 22KHz 16 bits mono file.