Frustrated

Started by tvdude, November 10, 2007, 09:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

tvdude

Has anyone else ever gone throught this?  I'm feeling really creative, yet everything I have been writing lately is garbage; I can't seem to find a melody/ sound/ song that makes me feel fulfilled.  There have been posts on here in the past talking about fostering creativity, but i'm not lacking in the creativity department, just the ability department.  Sometimes it's frustrating listening to someone who has picked up modplug or another music creation program and in six months has surpassed what it has taken me thousands of hours to even comprehend.  Ahhh, I'm just frustrated and venting.   I wish I has some natural talent instead of having to struggle to make a simple piece of somewhat good qood quality I guess. Ok,  I'm done feeling sorry for myself...lol...just needed to get that out.  I feel much better now.  Thank you.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

LPChip

I've had that too. You have all those ideas but you can't express them the way you want.

Try to experiment for a while. These obstructions usually mean that its time for you to grow into another direction.

Look around for music that really amazes you, and try to create something similar. You can also search for new sounds and those that trigger creativeness, use them.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

First of all, be patient. If there's an egg, it will come out sooner or later anyway.

LPChip is right. Experiment. Play around, also with technical aspects, like effects and/or codes you hardly used before.
It can be useful to do things that are without any direct purpose. Forget the strive to make a brilliant result for the moment.

And good quality is a struggle with a lot of work anyway, talent or not.
Another thing that can help is to revisit old compositions. With some of my old ones, I found some better solutions just six years later.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... When I have that problem, I generally go and play on a real instrument, like a piano, and just do whatever. I find that if I start with one of my ideas, and play it in as many different ways as I can (serious and silly!), I get some new ideas out of it. =)

Alternatively, try just taking a break from sitting in front of the computer at all. Go and do something else for a day or two; take a weekend off.

On a bit of a tangent, I find that doing some sort of exercise, even if it's just going for a walk, helps to clear my head and help me focus generally.

Matt Hartman

It happens to everyone, even to those who are considered naturally creative.

If you calm yourself, be still for awhile, literally breath, you will re connect.
You will find this theme throughout many aspects of life.

It's that simple.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

KrazyKatz

First of all I've heard you're stuff and theres no doubt that you have ability. I reckon something else "real life" related is bothering you and whilst you may have the urge to compose, whatever it is, is getting you down. If my room is a mess, then my composing is a mess.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

mrvegas

Take your time with your compositions -- music is as much about craftsmanship as creativity.  If you have a block, try taking an old (out of copyright) classical melody and writing some variations on it.  Take pride in writing a solid part of a song, rather than being so worried about getting the whole thing done.  It will grow fast enough.

You're supposed to be doing this for fun.