Any progress on site development

Started by Rakib, November 11, 2007, 21:19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Just saw the phpBB site and version 3 it out now and we have been promised a new and much better modplug.com superfan site for a long time. So has there been any progress on that lately?

Just curious. Good work anyway.
^^

Saga Musix

well, why phpBB 3? I can't stand this software anymore since i discovered Simple Machines Forum...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

It was just a suggestion since modplug has been using phpbb all this years now.

And it would probrably be much easier to move the existing userbase to phpbb3 instead of SMF.
^^

Sam_Zen

I don't feel the need for another forum-look so much, but I must say, this SMF looks good.
I noticed that it's also PHP based.

Saga Musix

It's easy to import phpBB settings into SMF. Some very strong arguments (IMHO) are the easy SSI (server side includes, may be useful for the frontend!), the easy, yet powerful admin interface (much better than in phpBB 2), nice other features (too many to list) and much more. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Asharin

Quote from: "Jojo"It's easy to import phpBB settings into SMF. Some very strong arguments (IMHO) are the easy SSI (server side includes, may be useful for the frontend!), the easy, yet powerful admin interface (much better than in phpBB 2), nice other features (too many to list) and much more. :)
Yeah, also easy(ish) to import old Phpbb data into an SMF forum too.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

LPChip

I have alot of experience with SMF, but I'm not gonna switch modplug to it.

I'm (still) working on that system and I'm making progress, even when development goes terribly slow (heck, I have a life too)

I tried doing modifications for SMF, but I just can't seem to find any good tutorial or documentation on how it works, and I don't have that much time to do extensive research on it.

Aside of that, once my system is done, it will be all we need.

SMF is nice, but its yet another forum. Modplug just needs more than a forum, and thats what we'll get when the system is ready.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

You could always take a look at one of the nice open source CMSes - I use Exponent. It has a fully-functional bulletin-board system out of the box, and everything's really easy to modify, style, and whatever, using a language called Smarty to power the PHP. Naturally it's PHP and [My/PostGre]SQL based... =D

LPChip

I've looked in different CMS's before I made the decision to make my own system. I didn't came up to any system that has what I need.

Only SMF came close to what I need (which didn't existed back then) but its just a forum, not a CMS. I've also looked into combining SMF with a CMS, but then I still have the problem that either the CMS and SMF need both to be skinned which is a tedious task, but worse: the CMS can't be modded without making it so that I can't install updates, unless I learn how to make modules, which I tried learning for postnuke in the past, and failed miserabelly. (Not mentioning that I couldn't even find proper documentation for modding the SMF forum.)

If you want to know why I know much about SMF but not choose to use it here: I am one of the administrators on Nifflas' Support forum, which uses SMF. I handy make use of the prebuild mods, but I failed at creating my own, when we needed a really small modification.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I agree with you - building your own CMS means that you'll get exactly what you want. How's it going? I assume you're doing it using PHP. Have you considered making it an opensource project, and sticking it up on SF or something? I finish my last exam for the year tomorrow (yay!), and I'd be interested in taking a look at the code, and maybe lending a hand...

LPChip

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"I agree with you - building your own CMS means that you'll get exactly what you want. How's it going? I assume you're doing it using PHP. Have you considered making it an opensource project, and sticking it up on SF or something? I finish my last exam for the year tomorrow (yay!), and I'd be interested in taking a look at the code, and maybe lending a hand...

I don't want to put it on SF because I want to use the software I'm building for commercial purpose also.

Lending a hand is something I can use though... Do you have MSN or IRC so we can get into more detail?

bvanoudtshoorn

Nah, I don't do much chatting. I have Gmail, though... =D

Saga Musix

Modarchive combines SMF forums with the frontpage. you could ask m0d neatly if he tells you how to do that with your own cms... :)