.48 long name tracks lead to crash of mpt in channel m

Started by le_parasite, November 04, 2007, 23:30:35

Previous topic - Next topic

le_parasite

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)[/b]

dunno

Description of the bug:

long name tracks lead to crash of mpt in channel mode
e.g. Abdullah_Ibrahim

How often does it happen?:
constant

How to reproduce (step by step description):
give your track a long name like Abdullah_Ibrahim and render in channel mode....

I nearly went nuts as I looked for the reason of the bug!!

Edit By Mod: Changed topic title
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

pelya

Cannot reproduce. Are you setting that "Abdullah_Ibrahim" as filename or as track title on MPT General View tab? Maybe you're saving rendered WAV files into directory with very long name? Does it crash right when you press  "Render" or in the middle of rendering?

Saga Musix

Just a question... is the path name you are going to store the WAV files very long aswell?
example C:\Documents and Settings\le_parasite\Documents\modules\openmpt\blah\test folder\wav export\

This could be a limitation of file name length in Windows then and not a bug of OpenMPT. Try to export the WAV files to root (i.e. C:\) and see if it sill happens.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

le_parasite

Quote from: "Jojo"Just a question... is the path name you are going to store the WAV files very long aswell?
example C:\Documents and Settings\le_parasite\Documents\modules\openmpt\blah\test folder\wav export\

This could be a limitation of file name length in Windows then and not a bug of OpenMPT. Try to export the WAV files to root (i.e. C:\) and see if it sill happens.

you get it, the name of the module is 06_174_bbeat4b3.it and save location is on the XP  desktop C:\Documents and Settings\le parasite\Bureau\xxxxxxxx_bbeat! lol Changing the folder name with a shorter or erasing the track name, prevent mpt from crashing.

Sam_Zen

This confirms my aversion against this ridicule M$ construction. I choose my own directories to work with.

LPChip

You can solve this issue also using subst.

By creating a driveletter for a path, the path becomes alot shorter.

Example:

subst m: c:\docume~1\myuser\mydocu~1\music

could get you: m:\mysong.it
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"This confirms my aversion against this ridicule M$ construction. I choose my own directories to work with.
How does an MPT bug confirm your aversion against which MS construction?

Saga Musix

you didn't read correctly. it is NOT (!) a bug in MPT but Windows itself does not allow paths + filenames that are so long. That's only one of the reasons why i created my own "My Documents" folders on drive E:\ and F:\. Another reason is that games nowadays store their settings and savegames in the my documents folder which makes it less comfortable to browse - i mean, why are that my "own" documents?!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pelya

There's buffer overflow somewhere in MPT anyway, 'cause MPT is one that crashed, not Windows ::) . All system functions should check filepath length and give some warning to user if it is too big (at least they meant to do so).

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"it is NOT (!) a bug in MPT but Windows itself does not allow paths + filenames that are so long.
As mentioned by pelya, it is a bug in MPT. What comes to the length limit, I have an impression that it is ~250 characters. That may not sound much, but try to create a path with that many characters ;).

2 le_parasite
Did some channels happen to have names?

le_parasite

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
2 le_parasite
Did some channels happen to have names?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, indeed by "tracks" I refered to channel

so the bug appeared with this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\le parasite\Bureau\xxxxxxxx_bbeat\06_174_bbeat4b3-008_Abdullah_Ibrahim.wav

älskling

Quote from: "Jojo"you didn't read correctly. it is NOT (!) a bug in MPT but Windows itself does not allow paths + filenames that are so long.
Yes I did, yes it is and yes it does.  :wink:

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "le_parasite"Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, indeed by "tracks" I refered to channel
Thanks for the clarification; bug confirmed.

dBlues

Quote from: "le_parasite"

le_parasite, I owe you my sanity for this - thanks!!!
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

le_parasite

Quote from: "dBlues"
Quote from: "le_parasite"

le_parasite, I owe you my sanity for this - thanks!!!

ahahah glad to read that.