Madtracker 3 Open Source, combine forces?

Started by Rakib, October 25, 2007, 21:06:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Since madTracker 3 is going to be released as open source, isn't possible to combine these programs to be 1?

With madtracker we would have rewire, better vst support and a lot more. Modplug tracker has the easiest GUI for those who doesnt like the FT2 GUI.
^^

LPChip

Its not as easy as you say it is... Even though I like the idea, it has much more too it than simply that. The best thing I can imagine is sharing code, but its the question if both programs are compatible enough for something like this to be even possible. I guess a chat with the dev team from madtracker is the best thing to do first.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

pelya

There's a bunch of trackers, all featuring it's own incompatible file format, adding the same features in parallel (first it was VST, then ASIO, now everyone is moving to Linux). If all the devs worked on single tracker we would have by now all the features a mortal could imagine. Sounds good? Here's the recipe:
First split off the ModPlug sound rendering engine (done already :shock: , I wonder how much it differs from latest OMPT) . Convert OMPT GUI into a standalone plugin ( the word "skin" fits better :lol: ) to choose between tracker/player. Make it cross-platform to the level of handheld devices/mobile phones (at least sound engine). Than do the same with MadTracker and Psycle. And then lure all MadTracker and Psycle developers here and create the UltimateSuperMegaUberTracker where you can choose GUI from OMPT and sound engine from MadTracker etc. plus all VST/ReWire/soundfonts/Winamp output/whatever you want. And noone restricts you from releasing commercial tracker or plugin or whatever that plugs into that uber-tracker-thing and collects money for you from demoscene community, just be sure to compile it also for Linux and MacOs and handheld (platforms with secure remote login provided 8) ).
Just dreaming here :oops: the sourcecode bases, once split, can be never united again :cry: (and probably music communities too, though I have not much experience here).

Relabsoluness

I think combining the programs is quite hard to begin with, and possible licensing differences might make it even harder. Also, I have an impression that rewire can't be used in GPL software such as OpenMPT.

Quote from: "pelya"If all the devs worked on single tracker we would have by now all the features a mortal could imagine.
And even features a mortal can't imagine.

Quote from: "pelya"First split off the ModPlug sound rendering engine (done already :shock: , I wonder how much it differs from latest OMPT).
At least one prominent difference is that the xmms-modplug sound engine code is public domain. Some of the files seems to be practically identical -- OpenMPT version just has GPL notice while xmms-modplug version has public domain notice.