Portamentos + vibrato needed for micro-tuned fls

Started by djtrancendance, June 11, 2008, 20:03:37

Previous topic - Next topic

djtrancendance

This still seems to be disabled for the .mptm format when using any tuning other than 12-TET, even in the latest version of mptm.  So, as of now, if I want to make a song in micro-tonal, I lose the ability to do perhaps the two most important effect commands.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't you or any of the other programmers simply

1) Program vibrato to work the same way as in 12TET IE same depth&speed possibilities and parameters

2) (G00-type) tone-portamento to
A) Merge toward a higher/lower note at the same rate as with 12TET but
B) Stop when the desired micro-tone is reached instead of desired named tone (IE 12TET note)?

3) It would be "ok" if you ignored fixing the pitch filters for now...they are seldom used. Also I understand if you must ignore to portamento up/down commands since it's nearly impossible to do well considering frequency gaps between notes may change drastically from note to note in a micro-tonal scale.

Ultimately the human ear is still going to see porta-mentos the same way between "weird" scales and 12TET, the only difference is which frequencies the porta-mento starts/stops at...

On the surface it seems the portamento algorithm could be as simple as modifying the 12-tone portamento to match itself against a start/stop list of all the notes of a given "special" scale rather than matching its start/stop points against 12-TET.

Sam_Zen

Interesting thread, but what's 12TET in the first place ?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "djtrancendance"This still seems to be disabled for the .mptm format when using any tuning other than 12-TET, even in the latest version of mptm.
Check that the value of 'finetune steps' is greater than zero for the tuning you're using. For information how the portamentos etc. are currently implemented with custom tunings, see http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=12210.0&highlight=#12210