vxx commands toggle: send to plug or self-manage

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, October 10, 2007, 09:52:11

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

A lot of plugs don't seem to respond to vxx commands, although some do. It'd be nice if there was a toggle-able option to either send these commands through to the plug as midi messages (the current behaviour), or have them directly influence the plug's volume (preferably separately to the gain...) This would mean that any plug could be volume controlled on a per-note basis. It'd also allow you to bounce the volume around while you're not sending any more note messages... You could do the classic:

| C-5 v64 |
| --- v12 |
| --- v64 |
| --- v12 |
| --- v64 |
| --- v12 |
| --- --- |
| --- --- |

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"A lot of plugs don't seem to respond to vxx commands, although some do.
It's better if they don't because currently wrong MIDI messages are sent to plug on vxx command(when used without a note), and using the vxx commands with plugs can really mess up the plug parameters.

bvanoudtshoorn

Oh... I use the vxx command all the time, and haven't found that it messes anything up. Kontakt definitely receives the command as a velocity, so maybe there's a bug in one of the plugs you're using?

Relabsoluness

Sorry, I was not exact there: it works ok when used with note on the same row, but when used without note, then things go wrong. It's easy to see with some plugs: trying to make volume fade with vxx like
|C-501......
|.....v64...
|.....v60...
|.....v55...
|.....v51...
|.....v47...
|.....v43...
|.....v38...
|.....v34...
|.....v30...
|.....v26...
|.....v21...
|.....v17...
|.....v13...
|.....v09...
|.....v04...
|.....v00...

can change many parameters in those cases - this happens for example with Superwave P8 and String theory 1.5. And the actual bug is that it sends wrong message in these cases; actually many plugs seem to respond to the MIDI volume message when such is sent.

bvanoudtshoorn

Yeah, I see what you mean. Kontakt doesn't seem to do anything with those other ones at all. :(

LPChip

Maybe a really late reply, but can we consider this to be forfilled?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs