.48 Sample volume input box allows invalid inputs

Started by Saga Musix, October 08, 2007, 23:11:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Not tested.

Description of the bug:
One may insert too high values for the sample amplifiaction in the edit box  below the "sample vol" slider on the "General" tab.

How often does it happen?:
Always.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Move the slider around. You'll see that the max value will be 256. Now move it back to 128 (or just type 128 :) ) and now add a 8: "1288". The output will now be heavily distorted. Too high volume values have to be filtered out.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Confirmed. This shouldn't be possible.
I've played around a little, and detected a 'flip' point at the value 200.
Below that value, adding an 8 will immediately cause distortion. Above that value nothing happens after adding an 8, until one clicks on the up or down button. Then the volume goes to 2000 or 1999.

Relabsoluness

From 'history.txt' in OMPT packages:
Quote. v 1.17.02.22
 + <rewbs> In order to let the user achieve a good balance between sample and VSTi volumes, there have been changes & improvements to the volume handling, as exposed on the general tab:
       --> Sliders available for "Sample volume", "VSTi volume" and "Global volume".
       --> "Sample volume" is in fact the old sample pre-amp slider. Note that the slider can go up to 500 (which is already pretty loud), but if you're feeling insane you can type values up to 2000 in the textbox.

LPChip

Yeah, this bug can be closed I think. It was intended that this can happen, which stops it from being a bug. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs