.52 Loading big sample files crashed modplug strangely

Started by Saga Musix, April 21, 2008, 15:34:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
yep, but differently...

Description of the bug:
Loading big samples crashes modplug. The file is 58 MB in size, so this shouldn't be a problem for the machine itself.
This time, i didn't only get the standard "app has crashed..." dialog, but also different messages like "runtime error 216", several exceptions, and stuff like that. i wasn't able to reproduce it, but mpt seems to have trouble with this kind of files. i mean, if there is a certain sample size limit, modplug should at least prevent the sample to be loaded fully (just the first part) and not just crash...

Fixed in OpenMPT 1.17.02.53
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

For me the crash is 'normal'(if it's not too much of a problem, I would be interested to see more detailed error/exception messages). The crash seems to be sample zoom related, which has funny consequences: for example the window width may determine whether OMPT crashes or not.

Sam_Zen

Intrigueing.. Sample zoom related.
Does this mean that during loading a sample, also the sample window is being calculated in the background ?

A few times I loaded samples of 3 min. so ~ 30 MB, and didn't notice any problem by the way.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Does this mean that during loading a sample, also the sample window is being calculated in the background ?
The crash seemed to occur when drawing the sample in sampletab after loading the sample.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"A few times I loaded samples of 3 min. so ~ 30 MB, and didn't notice any problem by the way.
Whether crash occurs depends on various variables(e.g. filesize, audioformat, window width). For me a 60 MB 16bit stereo wav loaded fine with maximised window, while the same file loaded as 8 bit mono or with sufficiently smaller window caused crash.

Saga Musix

your suspicion sounds kinda valid as the sample window is cleared first.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.