Use Windows keys as modifier keys

Started by pelya, May 13, 2007, 20:16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

pelya

I think that will be nice to have Windows keys as additional Shift/Control-like key, e.g. for Chord Modifier. They may be used as plain keys too. Start Menu won't open while you in Modplug window.
I want to hear your opinions, since I've already written a patch   :D  .

Edit by Mod: Added [REQ] tag in title.

Saga Musix

in general, anice idea, but this HAS to be optional.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Agreed.

I would even want to see that if you have the key not assigned, it just opens start menu, and if you have, only then that function is being used and start menu remains in tact.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

I agree.  I think having it available as a modifier would be nice, but it shouldn't disable the start menu activation unless it's assigned to a function by itself.

Saga Musix

agreed.
Do you also have a patch for the "Context Menu" key? :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pelya

I'll make it optional when it will get to SVN (if it won't be done by rewbs).
I also should note that disabling Startup Menu won't work in all dialogs (only in those that have custom input handlers, which is the most of MPT dialogs :) ). Also there's theoretical possibility that Startup Menu pops up if MPT slowed down alot and you hitting Windows key really fast.
If we'll ever make MPT to use DirectInput (if we want to use 2 PC keyboards with different instruments or octave ranges, that's it) the DirectInput will disable Start Menu in more robust way.

pelya

Feature updated: using Windows keys as additional modifier keys, disables Start Menu popup from Modplug.
Also disables NumLock/CapsLock/ScrollLock lamps on keyboard (someone requested that on forum some time ago. The lamps will blink anyway - can't help it until we'll start using DirectInput).
Should disable default key functions only if those keys are used in keyboard config.
Now waiting 'till rewbs applies the patch . 8)

Really Weird Person

What does "Context key" mean? Do you mean the applications key, the one commonly found between the right Windows and right Control keys?

pelya

Context Menu key mentioned by Jojo is probably the key between right Alt and right Control - there's two keys there, one is right Windows key, Context Menu key is another one :-) . With default keyboard config hitting it will show popup menu for currently selected item - the same as hitting right mouse button.

Really Weird Person

So it does mean the applications key. That's cool. BTW, I did say between the right Windows and Control keys, not right Alt and Control keys. If it is between your right Control and Alt, then you probably use a laptop without an external keyboard.

Saga Musix

yep, i call that the context key myself coz it activates the context (right click) menus :P

Really Weird Person

I call it applications because Windows Vista does. Windows XP does not call it anything. I guess that it indirectly calls it "pop-up Start." I also noticed that that is the name that Modplug Tracker gives it.

Saga Musix

Modplug doesn't name keys, it just takes the descriptions the system has :)
i notice this in every english program that shows german key definitions :)